NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
***** 324.40102 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2015: See 324.40102.amended *****
324.40102 Definitions; A to F.
(1) "Animals" means wild birds and wild mammals.
(2) "Bag limit" means the number of animals that may be taken and possessed as determined by the department.
(3) "Bow" means a device for propelling an arrow from a string drawn, held, and released by hand where the force used to hold the string in the drawn position is provided by the archer's muscles.
(4) "Buy" or "sell" means an exchange or attempt or offer to exchange for money, barter, or anything of value.
(5) "Chase" means to follow animals with dogs or other wild or domestic animals trained for that purpose.
(6) "Cormorant damage" means adverse impacts of double-crested cormorants on fish, fish hatchery stock, wildlife, plants, and their habitats and on man-made structures.
(7) "Cormorant depredation order" means the depredation order for double-crested cormorants to protect public resources, 50 CFR 21.48, issued by the United States department of the interior, fish and wildlife service.
(8) "Crossbow" means a weapon consisting of a bow mounted transversely on a stock or frame and designed to fire an arrow, bolt, or quarrel by the release of a bow string that is controlled by a mechanical or electric trigger and has a working safety and a draw weight of 100 pounds or greater.
(9) "Deer or elk feeding" means the depositing, distributing, or tending of feed in an area frequented by wild, free-ranging white-tailed deer or elk. Deer or elk feeding does not include any of the following:
(a) Feeding wild birds or other wildlife if done in such a manner as to exclude wild, free-ranging white-tailed deer and elk from gaining access to the feed.
(b) The scattering of feed solely as the result of normal logging practices or normal agricultural practices.
(c) The storage or use of feed for agricultural purposes if 1 or more of the following apply:
(i) The area is occupied by livestock actively consuming the feed on a daily basis.
(ii) The feed is covered to deter wild, free-ranging white-tailed deer or elk from gaining access to the feed.
(iii) The feed is in a storage facility that is consistent with normal agricultural practices.
(d) Baiting to take game as provided by an order of the commission under section 40113a.
(10) "Disability" means a determinable physical characteristic of an individual that may result from disease, injury, congenital condition of birth, or functional disorder.
(11) "Feed" means a substance composed of grain, mineral, salt, fruit, vegetable, hay, or any other food material or combination of these materials, whether natural or manufactured, that may attract white-tailed deer or elk. Feed does not include any of the following:
(a) Plantings for wildlife.
(b) Standing farm crops under normal agricultural practices.
(c) Agricultural commodities scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural practices.
(12) "Firearm" means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas, or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling BB's not exceeding .177 caliber by means of a spring, air, or gas.
History: Add. 1995, Act 57, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995
Am. 1998, Act 86, Imd. Eff. May 13, 1998
Am. 1999, Act 66, Imd. Eff. June 25, 1999
Am. 2000, Act 347, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 2000
Am. 2007, Act 48, Imd. Eff. Aug. 3, 2007
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan