ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES ACT OF 1969 (EXCERPT)
Act 306 of 1969
24.242 Notice of public hearing; publication requirements; submission of copy to office; publication of notice in Michigan register; distribution of copies of notice of public hearing; meeting of joint committee on administrative rules.
(1) Except as provided in sections 44 and 66, at a minimum, an agency, or the office acting on behalf of the agency, shall publish the notice of public hearing as prescribed in any applicable statute or, if none, the agency, or the office acting on behalf of the agency, shall publish the notice not less than 10 days and not more than 60 days before the date of the public hearing in at least 3 newspapers of general circulation in different parts of this state, 1 of which must be in the Upper Peninsula.
(2) Additional methods that may be employed to provide notice of the public hearing include publication in trade, industry, governmental, or professional publications or posting on the website of the agency or the office.
(3) In addition to the requirements of subsection (1) and except as provided in section 66, the agency shall electronically submit a copy of the notice of public hearing to the office for publication in the Michigan Register. If the office submitted the notice of public hearing on behalf of the agency, the office shall publish the notice of public hearing in the Michigan Register. An agency's notice must be published in the Michigan Register before the public hearing and the agency shall electronically file a copy of the notice of public hearing with the office. Within 7 days after receipt of the notice of public hearing and before the public hearing, the office shall do all of the following:
(a) Electronically transmit a copy of the notice of public hearing to the committee.
(b) Provide notice electronically through publicly accessible internet media.
(4) After the office electronically transmits a copy of the notice of public hearing to the committee, the committee shall electronically transmit copies of the notice of public hearing, not later than the next business day after receipt of the notice from the office, to each member of the committee and to the members of the standing committees of the senate and house of representatives that deal with the subject matter of the proposed rule.
(5) After receipt of the notice of public hearing filed under subsection (3), the committee may meet to consider the proposed rule, take testimony, and provide the agency with the committee's informal response to the rule.
History: 1969, Act 306, Eff. July 1, 1970
Am. 1982, Act 413, Eff. Jan. 1, 1984
Am. 1986, Act 292, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 1986
Am. 1989, Act 288, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 1989
Am. 1993, Act 141, Imd. Eff. Aug. 4, 1993
Am. 1999, Act 262, Eff. Apr. 1, 2000
Am. 2004, Act 23, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 2004
Am. 2004, Act 491, Eff. Jan. 12, 2005
Am. 2018, Act 267, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2018
Compiler's Notes: Enacting section 2 of Act 491 of 2004 provides:"Enacting section 2. This amendatory act applies to rules transmitted to the joint committee on administrative rules on or after January 12, 2005. Rules transmitted to the joint committee on administrative rules before January 12, 2005, shall be processed according to the act as it existed before January 12, 2005."
Popular Name: Act 306
Popular Name: APA
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan