MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
***** 257.803b THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE JULY 8, 2015: See 257.803b.amended *****
257.803b Personalized registration plate; use; letters and numbers; offensive connotation; material; duplication prohibited; submission of application; payment, disposition, and use of service fee; expiration date; letters and numbers given to different person in subsequent year; other sequence of letters and numbers; temporary permit.
(1) The secretary of state may issue 1 personalized vehicle registration plate that shall be used on the passenger motor vehicle, pick-up truck, motorcycle, van, motor home, hearse, bus, trailer coach, or trailer for which the plate is issued instead of a standard plate. Personalized plates shall bear letters and numbers as the secretary of state prescribes. The secretary of state shall not issue a letter combination that might carry a connotation offensive to good taste and decency. The personalized plates shall be made of the same material as standard plates. Personalized plates shall not be a duplication of another registration plate.
(2) An application for a personalized registration plate shall be submitted to the secretary of state under section 217. Application for an original personalized registration plate shall be accompanied with payment of a service fee of $8.00 for the first month and of $2.00 per month for each additional month of the registration period in addition to the regular vehicle registration fee. A second duplicate registration plate may be obtained by requesting that option on the application and paying an additional service fee of $5.00. The original and duplicate service fees shall be deposited in the transportation administration collection fund created in section 810b through October 1, 2015. Application for the renewal of a personalized registration plate shall be accompanied with payment of a service fee of $15.00 in addition to the regular vehicle registration fee. The service fee shall be credited to the Michigan transportation fund established under, and shall be allocated as prescribed under, section 10 of 1951 PA 51, MCL 247.660. The amount allocated to the state trunk line fund established under section 11 of 1951 PA 51, MCL 247.661, shall be used by the state transportation department for litter pickup and cleanup on state roads and rights of way.
(3) The expiration date for a personalized registration plate shall be as prescribed under section 226. Upon the issuance or renewal of a personalized registration plate, the secretary of state may issue a tab or tabs designating the month and year of expiration. Upon the renewal of a personalized registration plate, the secretary of state shall issue a new tab or tabs for the rear plate designating the next expiration date of the plate. Upon renewal, the secretary of state shall not issue the owner a new exact duplicate of the expired plate unless the plate is illegible and the owner pays the service fee and registration fee for an original personalized registration plate.
(4) The sequence of letters or numbers or combination of letters and numbers on a personalized plate shall not be given to a different person in a subsequent year unless the person to whom the plate was issued does not reapply before the expiration date of the plate.
(5) An applicant who applies for a registration plate under section 217d, 803e, 803f, 803j, 803k, 803l, 803n, or 803o is eligible to request, and the secretary of state may issue, the registration plate with a sequence of letters and numbers otherwise authorized under this section.
(6) The secretary of state may issue a temporary permit to a person who has submitted an application and the proper fees for a personalized registration plate if the applicant's vehicle registration may expire prior to receipt of his or her personalized registration plate. The temporary registration shall be valid for not more than 60 days after the date of issuance. The temporary permit shall be issued without a fee.
History: Add. 1972, Act 314, Imd. Eff. Jan. 2, 1973
Am. 1976, Act 49, Imd. Eff. Mar. 18, 1976
Am. 1978, Act 548, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 1978
Am. 1978, Act 549, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 1978
Am. 1980, Act 476, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981
Am. 1981, Act 225, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1982
Am. 1988, Act 419, Eff. Mar. 30, 1989
Am. 1993, Act 295, Eff. Apr. 1, 1994
Am. 1996, Act 142, Imd. Eff. Mar. 25, 1996
Am. 2003, Act 152, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2004, Act 426, Eff. Jan. 1, 2006
Am. 2009, Act 99, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2009
Am. 2011, Act 159, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2011
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan