PRIVATE SECURITY BUSINESS AND SECURITY ALARM ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 330 of 1968
338.1068 Employment of unqualified employees; fingerprints; fee; background check of prospective employee; employment application; refusal to surrender identification.
(1) A licensee shall not knowingly employ any person who fails to meet the requirements of section 17.
(2) The licensee shall cause fingerprints to be taken of all prospective employees who are direct providers of the security business, which fingerprints shall be submitted to the department of state police and the federal bureau of investigation for a state and national criminal history background check. The fingerprints shall be accompanied by a fingerprint processing fee in the amount prescribed by section 3 of 1935 PA 120, MCL 28.273, as well as any fees imposed by the federal bureau of investigation. The results of the national criminal history background check as returned by the federal bureau of investigation to the department of state police shall be used by the department to make a fitness determination. A licensee shall not employ a person who is a direct provider of the security business before submitting fingerprints to the department of state police.
(3) The fingerprints required to be taken under subsection (2) may be taken by a law enforcement agency or any other person determined by the department of state police to be qualified to take fingerprints. If a licensee takes the fingerprints, that licensee shall obtain training in taking fingerprints from the department of state police or a law enforcement agency or other person determined qualified by the department of state police.
(4) A licensee shall request the department of state police to conduct a background check of each prospective employee who is a direct provider of the security business based upon a name check. The licensee shall obtain a complete and signed employment application for all individuals for whom a name check is requested and conducted. The employment application shall be retained for at least 1 year from the date of its submission. The department of state police shall conduct the background check upon a written, electronic, or telephonic request of a licensee accompanied by a fee of $15.00. The background check shall be conducted not later than 3 days after the date a written request is made and not later than 24 hours after a telephonic or electronic request is made. Provisional clearance based on the name check shall allow the employee to be employed as a security guard, for a period of time not to exceed 90 days, pending final clearance based upon a fingerprint check as provided for in subsection (2). If an approval is once denied, that individual may not again be employed as a direct provider of the security business by the submitting licensee except upon receipt of an approved fingerprint clearance. A licensee or employee of a licensee who uses a name check or results of a name check for purposes other than prospective employment is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days, a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.
(5) The department of state police may enter into an agreement with a licensee for the payment of fees imposed pursuant to this act.
(6) Any employee who, upon demand, fails to surrender to the licensee his or her identification card and any other property issued to him or her for use in connection with his or her employer's business is guilty of a misdemeanor.
History: 1968, Act 330, Imd. Eff. July 12, 1968
Am. 1994, Act 326, Eff. Mar. 30, 1995
Am. 2000, Act 411, Eff. Mar. 28, 2001
Am. 2002, Act 473, Eff. Oct. 1, 2002
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan