MICHIGAN BUSINESS TAX ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 36 of 2007
***** 208.1107 THIS SECTION IS REPEALED BY ACT 39 OF 2011 EFFECTIVE WHEN CONDITIONS APPLIED BY ENACTING SECTION 1 OF ACT 39 OF 2011 ARE MET: See enacting section 1 of Act 39 of 2011 *****
208.1107 Definitions; C, D.
(1) "Certificated credit" means any of the following:
(a) A tax voucher certificate that has been issued to a taxpayer under an agreement entered into before January 1, 2012 under section 419 or section 23 of the Michigan early stage venture investment act of 2003, 2003 PA 296, MCL 125.2253.
(b) A credit for which a preapproval letter has been issued to a qualified taxpayer under section 437 before January 1, 2012 to the extent the credit has not been fully claimed or paid prior to January 1, 2012.
(c) Except as otherwise provided under subdivision (i), a credit or voucher certificate for which a taxpayer or a qualified taxpayer has entered into an agreement with the Michigan economic growth authority under sections 430, 431, 431a, 431b, 431c, 432, 434, or 450 before January 1, 2012 to the extent the credit or voucher certificate has not been fully claimed or paid prior to January 1, 2012.
(d) A credit for which a taxpayer or eligible production company has entered into an agreement with the Michigan film office with the concurrence of the state treasurer under section 455 or 457 before January 1, 2012 to the extent the credit has not been fully claimed or paid before January 1, 2012.
(e) A credit for which a qualified taxpayer has received a part 2 approval, approved rehabilitation plan, approved high community impact rehabilitation plan, or preapproval letter from the state historic preservation office under section 435 before January 1, 2012 to the extent the credit has not been fully claimed or paid before January 1, 2012.
(f) A credit under section 433 but only for a taxpayer that has a development agreement executed between a taxpayer and the Michigan strategic fund before January 1, 2012 or for a taxpayer that has entered into a qualified collaborative agreement under the Michigan renaissance zone act, 1996 PA 376, MCL 125.2681 to 125.2696, before January 1, 2012. As used in this subsection, "qualified collaborative agreement" means that term as defined in section 8d of the Michigan renaissance zone act, 1996 PA 376, MCL 125.2688d.
(g) A credit applicable to this act granted under section 36109 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.36109.
(h) A credit allowed a taxpayer under section 409 if the taxpayer has met the capital expenditure requirements under section 409(4).
(i) A credit for which a taxpayer has entered into an agreement with the Michigan economic growth authority under section 434(6) before July 1, 2012.
(2) "Client" means an entity whose employment operations are managed by a professional employer organization.
(3) "Compensation" means all wages, salaries, fees, bonuses, commissions, other payments made in the tax year on behalf of or for the benefit of employees, officers, or directors of the taxpayers, and any earnings that are net earnings from self-employment as defined under section 1402 of the internal revenue code of the taxpayer or a partner or limited liability company member of the taxpayer. Compensation includes, but is not limited to, payments that are subject to or specifically exempt or excepted from withholding under sections 3401 to 3406 of the internal revenue code. Compensation also includes, on a cash or accrual basis consistent with the taxpayer's method of accounting for federal income tax purposes, payments to a pension, retirement, or profit sharing plan other than those payments attributable to unfunded accrued actuarial liabilities, and payments for insurance for which employees are the beneficiaries, including payments under health and welfare and noninsured benefit plans and payment of fees for the administration of health and welfare and noninsured benefit plans. Compensation for a taxpayer licensed under article 25 or 26 of the occupational code, 1980 PA 299, MCL 339.2501 to 339.2518 and 339.2601 to 339.2637, includes payments to an independent contractor licensed under article 25 or 26 of the occupational code, 1980 PA 299, MCL 339.2501 to 339.2518 and 339.2601 to 339.2637. Compensation does not include any of the following:
(a) Discounts on the price of the taxpayer's merchandise or services sold to the taxpayer's employees, officers, or directors that are not available to other customers.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, payments to an independent contractor.
(c) Payments to state and federal unemployment compensation funds.
(d) The employer's portion of payments under the federal insurance contributions act, chapter 21 of subtitle C of the internal revenue code, 26 USC 3101 to 3128, the railroad retirement tax act, chapter 22 of subtitle C of the internal revenue code, 26 USC 3201 to 3233, and similar social insurance programs.
(e) Payments, including self-insurance payments, for worker's compensation insurance or federal employers' liability act insurance pursuant to 45 USC 51 to 60.
(4) "Corporation" means a taxpayer that is required or has elected to file as a corporation under the internal revenue code.
(5) "Department" means the department of treasury.
History: 2007, Act 36, Eff. Jan. 1, 2008
Am. 2011, Act 39, Imd. Eff. May 25, 2011
Am. 2011, Act 209, Eff. Jan. 1, 2012
Am. 2011, Act 292, Eff. Jan. 1, 2012
Compiler's Notes: Enacting section 1 of Act 36 of 2007 provides:"Enacting section 1. This act takes effect January 1, 2008 and applies to all business activity occurring after December 31, 2007."Enacting section 1 of Act 39 of 2011 provides:"Enacting section 1. The Michigan business tax act, 2007 PA 36, MCL 208.1101 to 208.1601, is repealed effective on the date that the secretary of state receives a written notice from the department of treasury that the last certificated credit or any carryforward from that certificated credit has been claimed."Enacting section 2 of Act 292 of 2011 provides:"Enacting section 2. It is the intent of the legislature that the $75,000,000.00 savings realized in reduced credits allowed under section 434(5) and (6) of the Michigan business tax act, 2007 PA 36, MCL 208.1434, as a result of this amendatory act shall be passed on and utilized to replace any revenue lost due to any personal property tax reform."
Popular Name: MBT
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan