INCOME TAX ACT OF 1967 (EXCERPT)
Act 281 of 1967
206.311 Tax return; form; content; verification; transmittal; remittance; extension, computation, and remittance of estimated tax due; interest; penalties; tentative return; payment of estimated tax; joint return; effect of filing copy of federal extension; automatic extension based on service in combat zone.
(1) The taxpayer on or before the due date set for the filing of a return or the payment of the tax, except as otherwise provided in this part, shall make out a return in the form and content as prescribed by the department, verify the return, and transmit it, together with a remittance of the amount of the tax, to the department.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (5), the department, upon application of the taxpayer and for good cause shown, may extend under prescribed conditions the time for filing the annual or final return required by this part. Before the original due date, the taxpayer shall remit with an application for extension the estimated tax due. In computing the tax due for the tax year, interest at the rate established in, and penalties imposed by, section 23 of 1941 PA 122, MCL 205.23, shall be added to the amount of tax unpaid for the period of the extension. The department may require a tentative return and payment of an estimated tax.
(3) Taxpayers who are husband and wife and who file a joint federal income tax return pursuant to the internal revenue code shall file a joint return.
(4) Except as provided in subsection (5), if the taxpayer has been granted an extension or extensions of time within which to file a final federal return for a taxable year, the filing of a copy of the extension or extensions automatically extends the due date of the final return under this part for an equivalent period. The taxpayer shall remit with the copy of the extension or extensions the estimated tax due. In computing the tax due for the tax year, interest at the rate established in, and penalties imposed by, section 23 of 1941 PA 122, MCL 205.23, shall be added to the amount of tax unpaid for the period of the extension.
(5) If the taxpayer is eligible for an automatic extension of time within which to file a federal return based on service in a combat zone, the due date for filing an annual or final return or a return and payment of an estimated tax under this part is automatically extended for an equivalent period of time. The taxpayer is not required to file a copy of any federal extension, but shall print "COMBAT ZONE" in red ink at the top of his or her return when the return is filed. The taxpayer is not required to pay the amount of tax due at the time the return is originally due, and the department shall not impose any interest or penalties for the amount of tax unpaid for the period of the extension.
History: 1967, Act 281, Eff. Oct. 1, 1967
Am. 1975, Act 94, Imd. Eff. June 2, 1975
Am. 1980, Act 169, Eff. Sept. 17, 1980
Am. 1987, Act 254, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 1987
Am. 2004, Act 199, Imd. Eff. July 12, 2004
Am. 2011, Act 38, Eff. Jan. 1, 2012
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan