MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.321c Notification by friend of the court of failure to appear for hearing, comply with repayment plan order, or respond to license suspension notice; duty of secretary of state to suspend operator's or chauffeur's license; duration; reinstatement; transmission of fees; amounts.
(1) If a friend of the court notifies the secretary of state that a licensee has failed to appear for a hearing, comply with a repayment plan order, or respond to a license suspension notice under the support and parenting time enforcement act, 1982 PA 295, MCL 552.601 to 552.650, the secretary of state shall immediately suspend the operator's or chauffeur's license of the licensee and shall notify the licensee of the suspension by first-class mail.
(2) If a person's license is suspended under subsection (1), the secretary of state shall not issue a license to the person if the person's license is already suspended, revoked, or denied or if the person does not have a license to suspend until the person is in compliance with subsection (3) and other provisions of this act.
(3) A suspension imposed under subsection (1) or (2) remains in effect until all of the following occur:
(a) The person obtains a certificate from the friend of the court showing that the person is complying with the custody, parenting time, or support order, and provides that certificate to the secretary of state within 10 days after the date of issuance noted on the certificate.
(b) The person pays to the circuit court clerk a $45.00 driver license clearance fee.
(c) The person pays the reinstatement fee imposed under section 320e.
(4) Unless a person's license is otherwise suspended, revoked, denied, or canceled, the license is immediately reinstated on satisfaction of the requirements of subsection (3). The secretary of state shall reissue the operator's or chauffeur's license of a person whose suspension is rescinded under subsection (3) within 30 days after receipt of the certificate obtained under subsection (3)(a), evidence of the payment of the fee under subsection (3)(b), and the fee imposed under section 320e.
(5) If a person provides a copy of a certificate obtained under subsection (3) to the secretary of state more than 10 days after the date of issuance noted on the certificate, the certificate is no longer valid, and the secretary of state shall not reinstate the person's license. A person who fails to provide a copy of the certificate to the secretary of state within 10 days after the date of issuance shall obtain another certificate from the friend of the court and satisfy the requirements of subsection (3) before the secretary of state shall reinstate that person's license.
(6) For each fee received under subsection (3)(b), the clerk shall transmit the following amounts on a monthly basis:
(a) Fifteen dollars to the secretary of state. The secretary of state shall deposit money received under this subdivision in the general fund. The money shall be expended to defray the expenses of the secretary of state in processing the suspension and reinstatement of driver licenses under this section.
(b) Thirty dollars to the treasurer of the county. The treasurer shall deposit money received under this subdivision in the county friend of the court fund created in section 2530 of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.2530.
History: Add. 1996, Act 240, Eff. Jan. 1, 1997
Am. 2009, Act 194, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 2009
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan