MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.685 Head lamps; number; modulator; height; auxiliary, spot, or other lamp; exemption.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least 2 head lamps with at least 1 head lamp on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, in compliance with this chapter. An implement of husbandry manufactured on or after January 1, 2007 shall comply with section 684a.
(2) A motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with at least 1 and not more than 2 head lamps that comply with this chapter.
(3) A motorcycle or moped head lamp may be wired or equipped to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity. A head lamp modulator installed on a motorcycle or moped with 2 head lamps shall be wired in a manner to prevent the head lamps from modulating at different rates or not in synchronization with each other. A head lamp modulator installed on a motorcycle or moped shall meet the standards prescribed in 49 CFR 571.108.
(4) Every head lamp upon a motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.
(5) When a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this section is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front of the motor vehicle projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of those lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at a time when upon a highway.
(6) A motor vehicle licensed as an historic vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the vehicle as originally equipped failed to meet these requirements. An historic vehicle shall not be operated in violation of section 684.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949
Am. 1957, Act 22, Imd. Eff. Apr. 19, 1957
Am. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Am. 1978, Act 55, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 1978
Am. 2006, Act 14, Imd. Eff. Feb. 9, 2006
Am. 2006, Act 453, Imd. Eff. Dec. 14, 2006
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan