THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
***** 380.902a THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY AFTER JUNE 30, 1988: See (5) of 380.902a *****
380.902a Merger of teachers for purpose of making layoff and recall determinations; standards and procedures; applicability of subsection (1); altering provisions of subsection (1); applicability of section.
(1) Upon the annexation of 1 school district by another, the teachers of the annexed and annexing school districts shall be merged for the purpose of making determinations in the layoff and recall of those teachers. The teachers of the annexed school district shall be merged with the teachers of the annexing school district as if those teachers had been employed in the annexing school district for the length of time equal to their accumulated seniority with the annexed school district at the date of the annexation, according to the applicable standards in the annexed school district for acquired seniority. Layoff and recall determinations shall then be made according to the standards and procedures in effect in the annexing school district. A teacher on layoff in the annexed or the annexing district on the date of the annexation shall not displace any teacher who is actively employed with either school district at the time of the annexation. Teachers on layoff in the annexed and annexing school district at the time of the annexation shall be merged with each other in the same manner as those actively employed and shall be considered for assignment for the next available vacancy for which they are certified, if applicable, and qualified. This subsection shall not apply to teachers of annexed and annexing school districts in which the annexation takes place after June 30, 1986.
(2) The provisions of subsection (1) may be altered by a future collective bargaining agreement after the annexation has been complete for 2 years.
(3) This section shall not apply to any school district in which annexation has been complete for 3 years.
(4) This section shall only apply to school districts located in a county with a population of more than 2,000,000.
(5) This section shall not apply after June 30, 1988.
History: Add. 1982, Act 284, Imd. Eff. Oct. 7, 1982
Am. 1985, Act 11, Imd. Eff. Apr. 24, 1985
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan