PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 368 of 1978
***** 333.7413 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE MARCH 28, 2018: See 333.7413.amended *****
333.7413 Conviction of second or subsequent violation; penalty.
(1) An individual who was convicted previously for a violation of any of the following offenses and is thereafter convicted of a second or subsequent violation of any of the following offenses shall be imprisoned for life and shall not be eligible for probation, suspension of sentence, or parole during that mandatory term:
(a) A violation of section 7401(2)(a)(ii) or (iii).
(b) A violation of section 7403(2)(a)(ii) or (iii).
(c) Conspiracy to commit an offense proscribed by section 7401(2)(a)(ii) or (iii) or section 7403(2)(a)(ii) or (iii).
(2) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (1) and (3), an individual convicted of a second or subsequent offense under this article may be imprisoned for a term not more than twice the term otherwise authorized or fined an amount not more than twice that otherwise authorized, or both.
(3) An individual convicted of a second or subsequent offense under section 7410(2) or (3) shall be punished, subject to subsection (4), by a term of imprisonment of not less than 5 years nor more than twice that authorized under section 7410(2) or (3) and, in addition, may be punished by a fine of not more than 3 times that authorized by section 7410(2) or (3); and shall not be eligible for probation or suspension of sentence during the term of imprisonment.
(4) The court may depart from the minimum term of imprisonment authorized under subsection (3) if the court finds on the record that there are substantial and compelling reasons to do so.
(5) For purposes of subsection (2), an offense is considered a second or subsequent offense, if, before conviction of the offense, the offender has at any time been convicted under this article or under any statute of the United States or of any state relating to a narcotic drug, marihuana, depressant, stimulant, or hallucinogenic drug.
History: 1978, Act 368, Eff. Sept. 30, 1978
Am. 1988, Act 12, Eff. June 1, 1988
Am. 1988, Act 144, Imd. Eff. June 6, 1988
Popular Name: Act 368
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan