NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
***** 324.21108 THIS SECTION IS REPEALED BY ACT 451 OF 1994 EFFECTIVE UPON THE EXPIRATION OF 12 MONTHS AFTER PART 215 BECOMES INVALID PURSUANT TO SECTION 21546 (3) *****
324.21108 Enforcement of part and rules.
(1) The department shall enforce this part and the rules promulgated under this part.
(2) The department may delegate the authority to enforce this part and the rules promulgated under this part to a local unit of government that has sufficient employees who are certified by the department under subsection (3) as underground storage tank system inspectors. A local unit of government may apply for delegation under this section by submitting a resolution of the governing body of the local unit of government and an application containing the information required by the department. The department may revoke a delegation under this section for a violation of this part, the rules promulgated under this part, or a contract entered between the department and the local unit of government.
(3) The department may certify individuals who are qualified to enforce this part and the rules promulgated under this part as underground storage tank system inspectors. The department may revoke an individual's certification under this section for violating this part or rules promulgated under this part.
(4) If the department elects to delegate enforcement authority under subsection (2), the department shall promulgate rules that do both of the following:
(a) Establish criteria for delegation under subsection (2).
(b) Establish qualifications for certification of individuals as underground storage tank system inspectors under subsection (3).
(5) The department may contract with a local unit of government for the purpose of enforcing this part and the rules promulgated under this part.
(6) The department or a certified underground storage tank system inspector within his or her jurisdiction, at the discretion of the department or inspector and without a complaint and without restraint or liability for trespass, may, at an hour reasonable under the circumstances involved, enter into and upon real property including a building or premises where regulated substances may be stored for the purpose of inspecting and examining the property, buildings, or premises, and their occupancies and contents to determine compliance with this part and the rules promulgated under this part.
(7) The department shall enhance its audit and inspection program to monitor the installation and operation of new underground storage tank systems or components to ensure that equipment meets minimum quality standards, that the installation is done properly, and that the monitoring systems are properly utilized.
(8) The department shall conduct a study regarding the causes of underground storage tank leaks and prepare a report making recommendations regarding upgrading underground storage tank system standards, establishing timetables for the replacement of equipment, and instituting any other practices or procedures which will minimize releases of regulated substances into the environment. The report shall be submitted by July 1, 1995 to the members of the legislature who are members of committees dealing with natural resource issues.
History: 1994, Act 451, Eff. Mar. 30, 1995
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan