THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
380.1201 Board; business to be conducted at public meetings; validity of board actions; closed sessions; legal meetings; notice of meetings; signing of minutes; vice-president to act in absence of president.
(1) The business that the board of a school district is authorized to perform shall be conducted at a public meeting of the board held in compliance with the open meetings act, 1976 PA 267, MCL 15.261 to 15.275. An act of the board is not valid unless the act is authorized at a meeting by a majority vote of the members elected or appointed to and serving on the board and a proper record is made of the vote.
(2) The board may hold closed sessions only as authorized by section 8 of the open meetings act, 1976 PA 267, MCL 15.268.
(3) A meeting at which all members are present, with or without proper notice to members of the board, and for which proper notice is given to the public pursuant to subsection (4), is considered a legal meeting for the transaction of business.
(4) The board shall give public notice of the time, date, and place of the meeting in the manner required by the open meetings act, 1976 PA 267, MCL 15.261 to 15.275.
(5) The minutes of each board meeting shall be signed by the secretary. In the absence of the secretary, the president shall appoint a temporary secretary who shall sign the minutes of the meeting. The vice-president shall act in the absence of the president.
History: 1976, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Am. 2001, Act 27, Imd. Eff. June 22, 2001
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan