NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
324.9101 Definitions; A to W.
(1) "Agricultural practices" means all land farming operations except the plowing or tilling of land for the purpose of crop production or the harvesting of crops.
(2) "Authorized public agency" means a state agency or an agency of a local unit of government authorized under section 9110 to implement soil erosion and sedimentation control procedures with regard to earth changes undertaken by it.
(3) "Conservation district" means a conservation district authorized under part 93.
(4) "Consultant" means either of the following:
(a) An individual who has a current certificate of training under section 9123.
(b) A person who employs 1 or more individuals who have current certificates of training under section 9123.
(5) "County agency" means an officer, board, commission, department, or other entity of county government.
(6) "County enforcing agency" means a county agency or a conservation district designated by a county board of commissioners under section 9105.
(7) "County program" or "county's program" means a soil erosion and sedimentation control program established under section 9105.
(8) "Department" means the department of environmental quality.
(9) "Earth change" means a human-made change in the natural cover or topography of land, including cut and fill activities, which may result in or contribute to soil erosion or sedimentation of the waters of the state. Earth change does not include the practice of plowing and tilling soil for the purpose of crop production.
(10) "Gardening" means activities necessary to the growing of plants for personal use, consumption, or enjoyment.
(11) "Local ordinance" means an ordinance enacted by a local unit of government under this part providing for soil erosion and sedimentation control.
(12) "Municipal enforcing agency" means an agency designated by a municipality under section 9106 to enforce a local ordinance.
(13) "Municipality" means any of the following:
(a) A city.
(b) A village.
(c) A charter township.
(d) A general law township that is located in a county with a population of 200,000 or more.
(14) "Rules" means the rules promulgated pursuant to the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328.
(15) "Seawall maintenance" means an earth change activity landward of the seawall.
(16) "Sediment" means solid particulate matter, including both mineral and organic matter, that is in suspension in water, is being transported, or has been removed from its site of origin by the actions of wind, water, or gravity and has been deposited elsewhere.
(17) "Soil erosion" means the wearing away of land by the action of wind, water, gravity, or a combination of wind, water, or gravity.
(18) "State agency" means a principal state department or a state public university.
(19) "Violation of this part" or "violates this part" means a violation of this part, the rules promulgated under this part, a permit issued under this part, or a local ordinance enacted under this part.
(20) "Waters of the state" means the Great Lakes and their connecting waters, inland lakes and streams as defined in rules promulgated under this part, and wetlands regulated under part 303.
History: Add. 1995, Act 60, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995
Am. 2000, Act 504, Imd. Eff. Jan. 11, 2001
Am. 2001, Act 227, Imd. Eff. Jan. 2, 2002
Am. 2005, Act 55, Imd. Eff. June 30, 2005
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan