CONSTRUCTION LIEN ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 497 of 1980
570.1104 Additional definitions.
(1) "Court" means the circuit court in which an action to enforce a construction lien through foreclosure is pending.
(2) "Designee" means the person named by an owner or lessee to receive, on behalf of the owner or lessee, all notices or other instruments required to be furnished under this act. The owner or lessee may name himself or herself as designee. The owner or lessee may not name the contractor as designee. However, a contractor who is providing only architectural or engineering services may be named as designee.
(3) "Fringe benefits and withholdings" means compensation due an employee pursuant to a written contract or written policy for holiday, time off for sickness or injury, time off for personal reasons or vacation, bonuses, authorized expenses incurred during the course of employment, and any other contributions made to or on behalf of an employee.
(4) "General contractor" means a contractor who contracts with an owner or lessee to provide, directly or indirectly through contracts with subcontractors, suppliers, or laborers, substantially all of the improvements to the property described in the notice of commencement.
(5) "Improvement" means the result of labor or material provided by a contractor, subcontractor, supplier, or laborer, including, but not limited to, surveying, engineering and architectural planning, construction management, clearing, demolishing, excavating, filling, building, erecting, constructing, altering, repairing, ornamenting, landscaping, paving, leasing equipment, or installing or affixing a fixture or material, pursuant to a contract.
(6) "Laborer" means an individual who, pursuant to a contract with a contractor or subcontractor, provides an improvement to real property through the individual's personal labor.
History: 1980, Act 497, Eff. Jan. 1, 1982
Am. 1982, Act 17, Eff. Mar. 1, 1982
Am. 2006, Act 497, Eff. Jan. 3, 2007
Am. 2010, Act 147, Imd. Eff. Aug. 23, 2010
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan