HIGHWAY ADVERTISING ACT OF 1972 (EXCERPT)
Act 106 of 1972
252.307a Issuance of annual permits for new signs on or after January 1, 2007; interim permit; conditions; renewable permit; size limitation on service club signs and religious organization signs.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the department shall not issue annual permits for new signs on or after January 1, 2007.
(2) Permits issued by the department before January 1, 2007 remain in force and valid.
(3) On and after January 1, 2007, the department shall issue an interim permit or permits to a holder of a valid permit or permits if all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The holder of the valid permit or permits is otherwise in compliance with this act.
(b) The holder of the permit or permits surrenders the permit or permits to the department upon the removal of a sign structure or sign structures that have a valid permit under this act.
(c) The holder of the permit or permits verifies the removal of the sign structure or sign structures in writing to the department.
(d) The department verifies that the sign structure or structures have been removed or the removal has been deemed effective under this section.
(4) An interim permit that is issued under this section shall only be utilized for the construction of a new sign structure and shall remain in effect without expiration with fees renewed on an annual basis.
(5) The department shall verify that an existing sign structure has been removed no later than 30 days after the department receives written notice from the permit holder that the sign structure has been removed. If the department does not respond to the written notice within 30 days after receipt of the written notice, then the permit holder shall be deemed to have removed the sign structure in compliance with this section.
(6) A holder of 2 valid permits for a sign structure with 2 faces who complies with this section shall receive 2 interim permits for the construction of a sign structure with 2 faces. A permit holder under this subsection shall not receive 2 interim permits to construct 2 single-face sign structures.
(7) A holder of a valid permit for a sign structure with a single face is entitled to exchange that permit under this section for an interim permit with a single face. A holder of valid permits for 2 different single-face structures may exchange the 2 permits under this section for 2 interim permits to construct 2 single-face sign structures or 2 interim permits to construct 1 sign structure with 2 faces.
(8) A holder of more than 2 valid permits for a sign structure with more than 2 faces may exchange the permits under this section for a maximum of 2 interim permits. The 2 interim permits received under this section shall only be used to construct 1 sign structure with no more than 2 faces.
(9) After construction of a sign structure under an interim permit is complete, the department shall issue renewable permits annually for the completed sign structure.
(10) If a permit holder for a sign structure that exists on January 1, 2007 requires additional permits for any reason, or if the owner of a sign that meets the requirements of section 17(9) applies for a permit before July 1, 2011, the department may issue a valid renewable permit renewable on an annual basis without complying with subsection (2) even if the permit holder has more than 2 valid permits as a result.
(11) The department may issue a permit for a new sign structure that measures no more than 8 square feet for signs in the categories of service club signs and religious organization signs.
(12) Notwithstanding anything else in this act that may be to the contrary, permits issued under subsection (11) are not eligible to be surrendered for an interim permit.
History: Add. 2006, Act 447, Eff. Jan. 1, 2007
Am. 2009, Act 86, Imd. Eff. Sept. 3, 2009
Am. 2010, Act 350, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 2010
Am. 2011, Act 13, Imd. Eff. Mar. 24, 2011
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan