PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 368 of 1978
333.20106 Definitions; H.
(1) "Health facility or agency", except as provided in section 20115, means:
(a) An ambulance operation, aircraft transport operation, nontransport prehospital life support operation, or medical first response service.
(b) A county medical care facility.
(c) A freestanding surgical outpatient facility.
(d) A health maintenance organization.
(e) A home for the aged.
(f) A hospital.
(g) A nursing home.
(h) A hospice.
(i) A hospice residence.
(j) A facility or agency listed in subdivisions (a) to (g) located in a university, college, or other educational institution.
(2) "Health maintenance organization" means that term as defined in section 3501 of the insurance code of 1956, 1956 PA 218, MCL 500.3501.
(3) "Home for the aged" means a supervised personal care facility at a single address, other than a hotel, adult foster care facility, hospital, nursing home, or county medical care facility that provides room, board, and supervised personal care to 21 or more unrelated, nontransient, individuals 55 years of age or older. Home for the aged includes a supervised personal care facility for 20 or fewer individuals 55 years of age or older if the facility is operated in conjunction with and as a distinct part of a licensed nursing home. Home for the aged does not include an area excluded from this definition by section 17(3) of the continuing care community disclosure act, 2014 PA 448, MCL 554.917.
(4) "Hospice" means a health care program that provides a coordinated set of services rendered at home or in outpatient or institutional settings for individuals suffering from a disease or condition with a terminal prognosis.
(5) "Hospital" means a facility offering inpatient, overnight care, and services for observation, diagnosis, and active treatment of an individual with a medical, surgical, obstetric, chronic, or rehabilitative condition requiring the daily direction or supervision of a physician. Hospital does not include a mental health hospital licensed or operated by the department of health and human services or a hospital operated by the department of corrections.
(6) "Hospital long-term care unit" means a nursing care facility, owned and operated by and as part of a hospital, providing organized nursing care and medical treatment to 7 or more unrelated individuals suffering or recovering from illness, injury, or infirmity.
History: 1978, Act 368, Eff. Sept. 30, 1978
Am. 1980, Act 293, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981
Am. 1981, Act 79, Imd. Eff. June 30, 1981
Am. 1982, Act 354, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 1982
Am. 1984, Act 311, Eff. Mar. 29, 1985
Am. 1990, Act 179, Imd. Eff. July 2, 1990
Am. 1996, Act 267, Imd. Eff. June 12, 1996
Am. 2000, Act 253, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2000
Am. 2014, Act 449, Imd. Eff. Jan. 2, 2015
Am. 2015, Act 104, Eff. Oct. 1, 2015
Am. 2017, Act 167, Eff. Feb. 11, 2018
Popular Name: Act 368