THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
380.3 Definitions; A to C.
(1) "Area" as used in the phrase "area vocational-technical education program" or "area career and technical education program" means the geographical territory, within the boundaries of a K to 12 school district, an intermediate school district, or a community college district, that is designated by the department as the service area for the operation of an area vocational-technical education program.
(2) "Area vocational-technical education program", "area career and technical education program", or "career and technical education program" means a program of organized, systematic instruction designed to prepare the following persons for useful employment in recognized occupations:
(a) Persons participating in career and technical education readiness activities that lead to enrollment in a career and technical education program in high school.
(b) Persons enrolled in high school in a school district, intermediate school district, public school academy, or nonpublic school.
(c) Persons who have completed or left high school and who are available for full-time study in preparation for entering the labor market.
(d) Persons who have entered the labor market and who need training or retraining to achieve stability or advancement in employment.
(3) "Board" or "school board" means the governing body of a local school district unless clearly otherwise stated.
(4) "Boarding school" means a place accepting for board, care, and instruction 5 or more children under 16 years of age.
(5) "Constituent district" means a local school district the territory of which is entirely within and is an integral part of an intermediate school district.
History: 1976, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Am. 1995, Act 289, Eff. July 1, 1996
Am. 2004, Act 303, Imd. Eff. Aug. 10, 2004
Am. 2007, Act 45, Imd. Eff. July 17, 2007
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of certain powers and duties vested in the department of career development or its director, relating to powers and duties of state board of education or superintendent of public instruction to the department of labor and economic growth, see E.R.O. No. 2003-1, compiled at MCL 445.2011.For transfer of powers of department of labor and economic growth regarding career and technical education program for secondary students to department of education by type II transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2007-1, compiled at MCL 388.998.
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan