MICHIGAN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL OPPORTUNITY ACT OF 1981 (EXCERPT)
Act 230 of 1981
400.1106 Commission on community action and economic opportunity; creation; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; chairperson; executive secretary; vacancies; per diem compensation; reimbursement of expenses; quorum; commission action; meetings.
(1) A commission on community action and economic opportunity is created within the department. The commission shall provide an opportunity for low income persons to actively participate in the development of policies and programs to reduce poverty.
(2) The commission shall consist of 6 to 15 members appointed by the governor by and with the advice and consent of the senate. The commission shall be comprised of equal numbers of elected public officials, private sector members, and low income individuals or as nearly equal in number as possible. At least 1/3 of the commission members shall be community action agency representatives as either staff or board members. The governor shall designate the chairperson of the commission. The chairperson shall serve at the will of the governor. The executive director or designee of the commission shall serve as executive secretary to the commission.
(3) The term of office of each member shall be 3 years. Vacancies on the commission shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(4) A member of the commission may receive per diem compensation and reimbursement of actual and necessary expenses while acting as an official representative of the commission. The per diem compensation of the commission and the schedule for reimbursement of expenses shall be established annually by the legislature.
(5) A majority of the commission constitutes a quorum. Except as otherwise provided by rule, action may be taken by the commission by vote of a majority of the members present at a meeting. The commission shall meet not less than 4 times a year. A meeting of the commission may be held anywhere within this state.
History: 1981, Act 230, Imd. Eff. Jan. 12, 1982
Am. 2003, Act 123, Imd. Eff. July 29, 2003
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of powers and duties of commission on community action and economic opportunity to the new commission on community action and economic opportunity, and abolishment of former commission on community action and economic opportunity, see E.R.O. No. 2014-4, compiled at MCL 400.1081.
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan