MICHIGAN LIQUOR CONTROL CODE OF 1998 (EXCERPT)
Act 58 of 1998
436.1803 Retailer or applicant for retail license; proof of financial responsibility; naming insurer or surety as defendant prohibited; effect of bankruptcy; policies and bonds to be continued from year to year; cancellation of liquor liability insurance policy; revocation; section inapplicable to special licensee or applicant for special license; rules.
(1) Before the renewal or approval and granting of a retail license, a retail licensee or applicant for a retail license shall file with the commission proof of financial responsibility providing security for liability under section 801(3) of not less than $50,000.00. The proof of financial responsibility may be in the form of cash, unencumbered securities, a policy or policies of liquor liability insurance, a constant value bond executed by a surety company authorized to do business in this state, or membership in a group self-insurance pool authorized by law that provides security for liability under section 801.
(2) A licensee may furnish proof of financial responsibility that exceeds the requirements of this section.
(3) An insurer under a policy or policies of liquor liability insurance or a surety under a bond shall not be named as a defendant in an action brought against the insured or bonded licensee for liability under section 801. Bankruptcy of the insured does not discharge an insurer or surety under this section from liability. Insurance policies and bonds issued for purposes under this section shall continue from year to year unless sooner canceled by the insurer.
(4) An insured retail licensee shall not cancel a liquor liability insurance policy except upon 30 days' prior written notice to the commission and unless new proof of financial responsibility complying with this section is procured by the retail licensee and delivered to the commission before the expiration of the 30-day period. The commission shall revoke the license of a retail licensee that violates this subsection.
(5) This section does not apply to a special licensee or applicant for a special license.
(6) The commission shall promulgate rules under the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328, to implement and enforce this section.
History: 1998, Act 58, Imd. Eff. Apr. 14, 1998
Am. 2016, Act 105, Eff. Aug. 1, 2016
Compiler's Notes: Former sections 22 to 22h of Act 8 of 1933 (Ex. Sess.), being MCL 436.22 to 436.22h, and which were repealed by Act 58 of 1998, Eff. Apr. 14, 1998, were formerly known and cited as the “Dram Shop Act.”
Popular Name: Dram Shop Act
Admin Rule: R 436.2001 et seq. of the Michigan Administrative Code.
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan