STATE AID TO PUBLIC LIBRARIES ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 89 of 1977
397.566 State aid for public libraries; reimbursing public libraries for salary of head librarian; employee wage increases; certifying salary of head librarian.
(1) A public library shall receive 35 cents per capita from state aid during the fiscal year 1977-78 if in the prior year the public library received local support equal to that required by this act.
(2) A public library shall receive 50 cents per capita from state aid during the fiscal year 1978-79 if in the prior year the public library received local support equal to that required by this act, the library has not reduced its local support by an amount equal to or larger than the state aid from the previous year without the approval of the department, and the library meets the minimum standards established by the department and this act.
(3) A public library belonging to a cooperative library shall receive from state aid for the fiscal year 1977-78 an additional 15 cents per capita, all or a part of which must be used to pay for cooperative services from the cooperative board as provided by section 15 and the cooperative plan.
(4) A public library belonging to a cooperative library shall receive from state aid each year after fiscal year 1977-78 an additional 50 cents per capita, all or part of which shall be used to pay for cooperative services from the cooperative board as provided by section 15 and the cooperative plan. When the cost of the cooperative library services has been paid, any remaining portion of the grant may be applied to local services under subsection (2). Each public library cooperative that qualifies under this act during fiscal year 1977-78 and following years shall receive an amount of $10.00 per square mile for the area that it serves if the area served has fewer than 75 people per square mile.
(5) A public library that is a county library serving a population of 50,000 or fewer that appoints to the office of head librarian a person with either a bachelor of arts or a bachelor of science degree from a college or university approved by an accrediting association of more than statewide standing, including or supplemented by 1 full year of training in a library school accredited by the American library association and with at least 4 years' experience in an administrative capacity in an approved library, shall be reimbursed for that portion of the salary not exceeding $400.00 for any 1 month or $4,800.00 in any 1 year, if the county library received during the last completed fiscal year before the year in which distribution is to be made, from the county or counties not less than $3,600.00 exclusive of money received from federal or state grants in aid to the library. Wage increases to present employees shall be paid equally by the state and local governments. Before September 6, December 6, March 6, and June 6 of the year of distribution, the county library board or the board's authorized agent shall certify to the department the actual amount of the salary paid the head librarian during the 3-month period immediately preceding those months.
History: 1977, Act 89, Imd. Eff. Aug. 2, 1977
Am. 2001, Act 65, Eff. Oct. 1, 2001
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan