MICHIGAN CAMPAIGN FINANCE ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 388 of 1976
169.218 Electronic filing and internet disclosure system.
(1) The secretary of state shall develop and implement an electronic filing and internet disclosure system that permits committees that are required to file statements or reports under this act with the secretary of state to file those statements or reports electronically and that provides internet disclosure of electronically filed statements or reports on a website.
(2) The secretary of state shall offer each committee required to file with the secretary of state the option of filing campaign statements or reports electronically, as described in subsection (1).
(3) Beginning with the annual campaign statement due January 31, 2004, each committee required to file with the secretary of state that received or expended $20,000.00 or more in the preceding calendar year or expects to receive or expend $20,000.00 or more in the current calendar year shall electronically file all statements and reports required under this act, as described in subsection (1).
(4) If a committee was not required to file a campaign statement under subsection (3) only because it did not meet the applicable threshold of receiving or expending $20,000.00 or more, but the committee later reaches that threshold, the committee shall notify the secretary of state within 10 business days after reaching that threshold and shall subsequently file electronically all statements and reports required under this act.
(5) The secretary of state shall permit a committee to electronically file statements and reports required under this act, as described in subsection (1), except an original statement of organization, after the committee treasurer and, for a candidate committee, the candidate has signed and filed a form designed by the secretary of state to serve as the signature verifying the accuracy and completeness of each statement or report filed electronically.
History: Add. 1999, Act 238, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 1999
Am. 2006, Act 89, Imd. Eff. Apr. 3, 2006
Compiler's Notes: Sec. 18, as added by Act 238 of 1999, was originally compiled as Sec. 18 to distinguish the section from another Sec. 18 deriving from Act 237 of 1999.Former MCL 169.218, deriving from Act 237 of 1999, and which pertained to electronic disclosure system, was repealed by Act 207 of 2000, Imd. Eff. June 27, 2000.
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan