LIBRARY OF MICHIGAN ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 540 of 1982
397.20 Duties of library; maintenance and ownership of website by legislative council.
(1) The library shall maintain a complete collection of the public documents deposited under section 9 as a permanent reference file. The library is charged primarily with providing reference services to the legislative branch of state government and, in addition, shall provide those services to the executive and judicial branches of state government and the general public. The law library branch is charged primarily with providing reference services to the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of state government. Upon request of a member of the legislature, the library shall provide in a timely manner to that individual copies of any information, documents, or other data, including the Michigan compiled laws, that are generated or produced by the legislature or legislative council agencies and all other information, documents, or other data that are in the possession of the library.
(2) The library shall deposit copies of each public document deposited under section 9 in each designated depository library. The depository libraries shall be designated by the state librarian. The state librarian shall designate only those libraries which will keep the documents readily accessible for use and which will render assistance for the use of the documents without charge.
(3) The library also shall do all of the following:
(a) Send 1 copy of each public document deposited under section 9 to the library of congress.
(b) Prepare and issue quarterly, a complete list of public documents deposited under section 9 during the immediately preceding quarter. The lists shall be cumulated and printed at the end of each calender year. A copy shall be distributed by the library to state departments, legislators, and to public and college libraries within the state.
(c) Establish a document exchange system with agencies in other states to make available selected documents published by other states for use by the people of this state.
(d) Exchange the judicial decisions, statutes, journals, legislative and executive documents of this state, and other books placed in the care of the library for the purpose of exchange with the libraries of other states, the government of the United States, foreign countries, and societies and institutions.
(e) Sell or exchange duplicate volumes or sets of works not needed for use in the library and apply the proceeds to the purchase of other books for the library.
(f) Further, by all appropriate means, the development of effective, statewide school library services.
(g) Encourage contractual and cooperative arrangements between and among all kinds of libraries for the improvement of library services to the people of this state.
(h) Coordinate the library's library services with the library services of all kinds of libraries.
(i) Collect, preserve, and publish appropriate statistics on all kinds of libraries in the state.
(j) Conduct research and publish the results for the benefit of all kinds of libraries and the library services to the people of the state.
(k) Provide all services which the state library was authorized to provide immediately preceding March 30, 1983.
(l) Under the authority granted by law, promote and advance library science in this state.
(m) Seek grants to extend or enhance library services.
(4) The legislative council shall maintain a website containing information, documents, and other data generated by the legislature or legislative council agencies. On the effective date of the amendatory act that added this subsection, the library shall do both of the following:
(a) Transfer ownership of all computer hardware and software directly or indirectly associated with the Michiganlegislature.org website to the legislative council.
(b) Transfer ownership of the internet domain name “Michiganlegislature.org” to the legislative council.
(5) Upon request of the legislative council, the library shall provide to the legislative council copies of any information, documents, or other data, including the Michigan compiled laws database, generated or produced by the legislature or legislative council agencies that will assist the legislative council in carrying out its responsibilities under subsection (4).
(6) On October 1, 2001, money appropriated for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2002, necessary for the operation of the Michiganlegislature.org website and to fund the positions that are retained by the legislative council in section 7(3) shall be transferred to the legislative council.
History: 1982, Act 540, Eff. Mar. 30, 1983
Am. 1983, Act 114, Imd. Eff. July 12, 1983
Am. 2001, Act 62, Eff. Oct. 1, 2001
Compiler's Notes: In the second sentence of subsection (3)(b), the word "calender" should evidently read "calendar".For transfer of powers and duties of library of Michigan and state librarian, except pertaining to services for blind and physically handicapped and those related to census data functions, to department of education, see E.R.O. No. 2009-26, compiled at MCL 399.752.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan