THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
380.1166 Constitution and government; civics; mandatory courses; commencement of instruction; exception; revision of state curriculum content standards for high school social studies; definition.
(1) In all public and nonpublic schools in this state regular courses of instruction shall be given in the constitution of the United States, in the constitution of Michigan, and in the history and present form of government of the United States, Michigan, and its political subdivisions. Instruction shall begin not later than the opening of the eighth grade, or its equivalent, except in schools maintaining a junior high school, in which case it may begin in the ninth grade.
(2) A high school in this state shall require a 1-semester course of study of 5 periods per week in civics. The course shall include the form and functions of the federal, state, and local governments and shall stress the rights and responsibilities of citizens. A diploma shall not be issued by a high school to a pupil who has not successfully completed this course. This course requirement is not a graduation requirement for a high school pupil who has enlisted or been inducted into military service.
(3) By not later than May 1, 2018 or the next update of the state curriculum content standards after the effective date of this subsection, whichever occurs first, the state board shall revise the state curriculum content standards for high school social studies to ensure that those content standards cover the same content as covered by the 100 questions on the civics portion of the naturalization test used by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services as of December 1, 2016.
(4) Beginning with the first state high school social studies assessment administered after the state academic curriculum content standards are revised as required under subsection (3), the superintendent of public instruction shall ensure that the high school social studies assessment includes questions related to the learning objectives in the state curriculum standards for high school social studies as revised under subsection (3).
(5) As used in this section, "state curriculum content standards" means the state board recommended model curriculum content standards developed and periodically updated under section 1278.
History: 1976, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Am. 2016, Act 391, Eff. Mar. 29, 2017
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan