EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 390 of 1976
30.407 Powers and duties of director.
(1) The director shall implement the orders and directives of the governor in the event of a disaster or an emergency and shall coordinate all federal, state, county, and municipal disaster prevention, mitigation, relief, and recovery operations within this state. At the specific direction of the governor, the director shall assume complete command of all disaster relief, mitigation, and recovery forces, except the national guard or state defense force, if it appears that this action is absolutely necessary for an effective effort.
(2) If the governor has issued a proclamation, executive order, or directive under section 3 regarding state of disaster or state of emergency declarations, section 5 regarding actions directed by the governor, or section 21 regarding heightened state of alert, the director may, with the concurrence of the governor, amend the proclamation or directive by adding additional counties or municipalities or terminating the orders and restrictions as considered necessary.
(3) The director shall comply with the applicable provisions of the Michigan emergency management plan in the performance of the director's duties under this act.
(4) The director's powers and duties shall include the administration of state and federal disaster relief funds and money; the mobilization and direction of state disaster relief forces; the assignment of general missions to the national guard or state defense force activated for active state duty to assist the disaster relief operations; the receipt, screening, and investigation of requests for assistance from county and municipal governmental entities; making recommendations to the governor; and other appropriate actions within the general authority of the director.
(5) In carrying out the director's responsibilities under this act, the director may plan for and utilize the assistance of any volunteer group or person having a pertinent service to render.
(6) The director may issue a directive relieving the donor or supplier of voluntary or private assistance from liability for other than gross negligence in the performance of the assistance.
History: 1976, Act 390, Imd. Eff. Dec. 30, 1976
Am. 1990, Act 50, Imd. Eff. Apr. 6, 1990
Am. 2002, Act 132, Eff. May 1, 2002
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan