MICHIGAN ANTITRUST REFORM ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 274 of 1984
445.774 Labor as commodity or article of commerce; organizations for mutual help; acts or conduct of governmental unit; authorized transactions or conduct; unlawful transactions or conduct subject to regulatory scheme; transactions or conduct reducing cost of health care; enforcement of federal antitrust act.
(1) Labor of a human being is not a commodity or an article of commerce.
(2) This act shall not be construed to forbid the existence and operation of any labor, agricultural, or horticultural organization instituted for the purpose of mutual help, while lawfully carrying out its legitimate objects.
(3) This act shall not be construed to prohibit, invalidate, or make unlawful any act or conduct of any unit of government, when the unit of government is acting in a subject matter area in which it is authorized by law to act, except for purposes of conducting an investigation and the obtaining of appropriate injunctive or other equitable relief, other than civil penalties, pursuant to section 7.
(4) This act shall not apply to a transaction or conduct specifically authorized under the laws of this state or the United States, or specifically authorized under laws, rules, regulations, or orders administered, promulgated, or issued by a regulatory agency, board, or officer acting under statutory authority of this state or the United States.
(5) A transaction or conduct made unlawful by this act shall not be construed to violate this act where it is the subject of a legislatively mandated pervasive regulatory scheme, including but not limited to, the insurance code of 1956, being sections 500.100 to 500.8302 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, which confers exclusive jurisdiction on a regulatory board or officer to authorize, prohibit or regulate the transaction or conduct.
(6) This act shall not apply to a transaction or conduct of an authorized health maintenance corporation, health insurer, medical care corporation, or health service corporation or health care corporation when the transaction or conduct is to reduce the cost of health care and is permitted by the commissioner. This subsection shall not affect the enforcement of the federal antitrust act by federal courts or federal agencies.
History: 1984, Act 274, Eff. Mar. 29, 1985
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan