THE STATE SCHOOL AID ACT OF 1979 (EXCERPT)
Act 94 of 1979
388.1695 Professional development for principals and assistant principals.
(1) From the funds appropriated in section 11, there is allocated an amount not to exceed $1,750,000.00 for 2012-2013 for grants to districts to support professional development for principals and assistant principals in a department-approved training program for implementing educator evaluations as required under section 1249 of the revised school code, MCL 380.1249.
(2) For 2012-2013, all districts may apply for funding under this section by a date determined by the department. Beginning in 2013-2014, in a form and manner determined by the department, priority will be given to districts that have new building administrators who have not previously received training in programs funded under this section.
(3) The department shall approve training programs for the purpose of this section. The department shall approve all training programs recommended by the governor's council on educator effectiveness and may approve other training programs that meet department criteria. At a minimum, these other programs shall meet all of the following criteria:
(a) Contain instructional content on methods of evaluating teachers consistently across multiple grades and subjects.
(b) Include training on evaluation observation that is focused on reliability and bias awareness and that instills skills needed for consistent, evidence-based observations.
(c) Incorporate the use of videos of actual lessons for applying rubrics and consistent scoring.
(d) Align with recommendations of the governor's council on educator effectiveness.
(e) Provide ongoing support to maintain inter-rater reliability. As used in this subdivision, "inter-rater reliability" means a consistency of measurement from different evaluators independently applying the same evaluation criteria to the same classroom observation.
(4) The department shall award grants to eligible districts in an amount determined by the department, but not to exceed $350.00 per participant.
(5) A district receiving funds under this section shall use the funds only for department-approved training programs under this section.
History: Add. 2012, Act 201, Eff. Oct. 1, 2012
Compiler's Notes: Former MCL 388.1695, which pertained to teacher professional development training program, was repealed by Act 191 of 2002, Imd. Eff. Apr. 26, 2002.
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan