NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
324.20113 Appropriation; purposes; request to governor; list of facilities; use of fund; expenditures; limitation; providing list of projects to governor and legislative committees; "urbanized area" defined.
(1) Money required to implement the programs described under this part and to pay for response activities recommended under this part shall be appropriated from the fund and any other source the legislature considers necessary to implement the requirements of this part.
(2) The department shall annually submit to the governor a request for appropriation from the fund. The request will include a lump sum amount for the purposes of subsection (3)(e). For the purposes set forth in subsection (3)(a), (b), (c), and (d), the request shall include a list of facilities where the department is proposing to expend funds. The list shall include the following information for each facility: the common name of the facility, the response activities that are planned to be conducted, and the estimated amount of money that is needed to conduct the response activities. The legislature shall approve by law the list of facilities to be addressed and shall provide a lump sum appropriation for these sites based on the total estimated amount needed for the approved facilities.
(3) Money from the fund may be used, upon appropriation, for the following as determined by the department:
(a) Superfund match, which includes funding for any response activity that is required to match federal dollars at a superfund site as required under the comprehensive environmental response, compensation, and liability act, 42 USC 9601 to 9675.
(b) Response activities to address actual or potential public health or environmental problems.
(c) Completion of response activities initiated by the state using environmental protection bond funds or completion of response activities at facilities initiated by a person who was liable under this part prior to 1995 PA 71 but is not liable under section 20126 of this part, where such response activities have ceased.
(d) Response activities at facilities that will facilitate redevelopment.
(e) Emergency response actions for facilities to be determined by the department.
(4) Money in the fund shall be expended first for the purposes described in subsection (3)(a) and (e) and health or environmental problems under subsection (3)(b) that are related to acute health or environmental problems. Following these expenditures, not less than 50% of the remaining money expended under this section shall be expended for response activities that facilitate redevelopment of urbanized areas. All additional expenditures under this section shall be expended following the expenditures described in this subsection. As used in this subsection, "urbanized area" means an urbanized area as determined by the economics and statistics administration, United States bureau of census, according to the 2000 census.
(5) Not later than April 1 of each year, the department shall provide to the governor, the senate and house of representatives standing committees with jurisdiction over issues pertaining to natural resources and the environment, and the senate and house of representatives appropriations committees a list of all projects financed under this part through the preceding fiscal year. The list shall include the project site and location, the nature of the project, the total amount of money authorized, the total amount of money expended, and project status.
History: 1994, Act 451, Eff. Mar. 30, 1995
Am. 1995, Act 71, Imd. Eff. June 5, 1995
Am. 1996, Act 380, Imd. Eff. July 24, 1996
Am. 1996, Act 383, Imd. Eff. July 24, 1996
Am. 2010, Act 234, Imd. Eff. Dec. 14, 2010
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: Environmental Remediation
Popular Name: Environmental Response Act
Popular Name: NREPA
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan