CRIME VICTIMS COMPENSATION BOARD (EXCERPT)
Act 223 of 1976
18.356 Validity of claim; investigation and examination; claims arising from death of individual; total compensation; willful noncooperation; hearing; decision; report.
(1) When a claim is accepted for filing, an investigation and examination shall be conducted to determine the validity of the claim. The investigation shall include an examination of papers filed in support of the claim, official records and reports concerning the crime, and an examination of medical and hospital reports relating to the injury upon which the claim is based. All claims which arise from the death of an individual as a direct result of a crime shall be considered together, and the total compensation awarded for all claims which arise from the death of an individual shall not exceed the maximum aggregate award.
(2) A claim shall be investigated and determined regardless of whether the alleged criminal was apprehended, prosecuted, convicted, acquitted, or found not guilty of the crime in question, unless the disposition is a direct result of willful noncooperation by the victim or other claimant with the law enforcement agency or the prosecuting attorney. In the event of determination of willful noncooperation by the victim or other claimant, the commission shall reject the claim.
(3) A claim may be decided on the basis of the papers filed in support of the claim and the report of the investigation of the claim. If the person authorized to decide a claim under section 3(2) is convinced that a decision should not be made without a hearing, that person may request the commission to conduct a hearing under section 7. At the hearing any relevant evidence, not legally privileged, is admissible.
(4) After an examination of the papers filed in support of a claim and the report of investigation, and if no hearing is requested under subsection (3), a decision granting or denying the award shall be made.
(5) A written report setting forth the decision and reasons for the decision shall be sent to the claimant.
History: 1976, Act 223, Eff. Mar. 31, 1977
Am. 1985, Act 157, Imd. Eff. Nov. 15, 1985
Am. 1996, Act 519, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1997
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan