MICHIGAN GAMING CONTROL AND REVENUE ACT (EXCERPT)
Initiated Law 1 of 1996
432.212a Payment of regulatory and enforcement costs, programs, activities, and services; total annual assessment; state services fee fund.
(1) In addition to application and license fees described in this act, all regulatory and enforcement costs, compulsive gambling programs, casino-related programs and activities, casino-related legal services provided by the attorney general, and the casino-related expenses of the department of state police shall be paid by casino licensees as provided by this section.
(2) The total annual assessment for the first year in which any casino licensee under this act begins operating a casino in this state shall be $25,000,000.00.
(3) The total annual assessment required under this subsection shall be adjusted each year by multiplying the annual assessment for the immediately preceding year by the Detroit consumer price index for the immediately preceding year. As used in this subsection, “Detroit consumer price index” means the annual consumer price index for Detroit consumers as defined and reported by the United States department of labor, bureau of labor statistics.
(4) On or before the date the casino licensee begins operating the casino and annually on that date thereafter, each casino licensee shall pay to the state treasurer an equal share of the total annual assessment required under this section. In no event shall a casino's assessment exceed 1/3 of the total annual assessment required under this section.
(5) From the amount collected under subsection (4), $2,000,000.00 shall be deposited in the compulsive gaming prevention fund.
(6) The state services fee fund is created in the department of treasury and shall be administered by the department in accordance with this act.
(7) Except as provided in subsections (5) and (8), all funds collected under this section shall be deposited in the state services fee fund. Distributions from the fund shall be made by the legislature through the appropriations process.
(8) The balance of the state services fee fund shall not exceed $65,000,000.00. If the funds collected under this section would cause the balance to exceed the limitation of this subsection, the surplus funds shall be credited in equal shares against each casino licensee's annual assessment made under section 12a.
(9) The funds collected under this section and deposited in the state services fee fund shall not revert to the general fund at the close of the fiscal year but shall remain in the fund.
History: Add. 1997, Act 69, Imd. Eff. July 17, 1997
Popular Name: Proposal E
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan