STATE EMPLOYEES' RETIREMENT ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 240 of 1943
38.20d Hospitalization, medical, dental, and vision coverage insurance premium; computation and allocation of cost savings; payment by retirement board; “retirant” defined.
(1) On and after July 1, 1974, hospitalization and medical coverage insurance premium payable by any retirant or his or her beneficiary and his or her dependents under any group health plan authorized by the Michigan civil service commission and the department of management and budget shall be paid by the retirement board from the health insurance reserve fund created in section 11. The amount payable shall be in the same proportion of premium payable by the state of Michigan for the classified employees occupying positions in the state civil service. The hospitalization and medical insurance premium payable shall be paid from appropriations made for this purpose to the health insurance reserve fund sufficient to cover the premium payment needed to be made.
(2) Effective January 1, 1988, 90% of the premium payable by a retirant or the retirant's beneficiary and his or her dependents for dental coverage or vision coverage, or both, under any group plan authorized by the Michigan civil service commission and the department of management and budget shall be paid by the retirement board from the health insurance reserve fund created in section 11.
(3) The department of management and budget shall calculate for each fiscal year any cost savings that have accrued to this state as a result of the implementation of 1996 PA 487 over the costs that would have been incurred by this state to fund premiums payable pursuant to section 68 had 1996 PA 487 not been implemented. The total amount of the cost savings, if any, shall be allocated to the health advance funding subaccount created under section 11(9).
(4) On and after March 31, 1997, the retirement system shall also pay health insurance premiums described in this section in the manner prescribed in section 68.
(5) For purposes of this section, “retirant” includes a person who retires under section 306 or 410 of the Michigan military act, 1967 PA 150, MCL 32.706 and 32.810.
History: Add. 1974, Act 216, Imd. Eff. July 19, 1974
Am. 1987, Act 57, Imd. Eff. June 23, 1987
Am. 1987, Act 241, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 1987
Am. 1995, Act 176, Imd. Eff. Oct. 17, 1995
Am. 1996, Act 487, Eff. Mar. 31, 1997
Am. 1996, Act 532, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1997
Am. 2002, Act 93, Imd. Eff. Mar. 27, 2002
Compiler's Notes: Section 2 of Act 487 of 1996 provides:“If any section or part of a section of this act is for any reason held to be invalid or unconstitutional, the holding does not affect the validity of the remaining sections of this act or the act in its entirety.”
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan