SEX OFFENDERS REGISTRATION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 295 of 1994
28.724a Status report to registering authority; requirements; reports; written documentation; exception.
(1) An individual required to be registered under this act who is not a resident of this state shall report his or her status in person to the registering authority having jurisdiction over a campus of an institution of higher education if either of the following occurs:
(a) The individual is or enrolls as a student with that institution of higher education or the individual discontinues that enrollment.
(b) As part of his or her course of studies at an institution of higher education in this state, the individual is present at any other location in this state, another state, a territory or possession of the United States, or the individual discontinues his or her studies at that location.
(2) An individual required to be registered under this act who is a resident of this state shall report his or her status in person to the registering authority having jurisdiction where his or her new residence or domicile is located if any of the events described under subsection (1) occur.
(3) The report required under subsections (1) and (2) must be made as follows:
(a) For an individual registered under this act before October 1, 2002 who is required to make his or her first report under subsections (1) and (2), not later than January 15, 2003.
(b) Not more than 3 business days after he or she enrolls or discontinues his or her enrollment as a student on that campus including study in this state or another state, a territory or possession of the United States, or another country.
(4) The additional registration reports required under this section must be made in the time periods described in section 5a(2)(a) to (c) for reports under that section.
(5) The local law enforcement agency, sheriff's department, or department post to which an individual reports under this section shall require the individual to pay the registration fee required under section 5a or 7(1) and to present written documentation of employment status, contractual relationship, volunteer status, or student status. Written documentation under this subsection may include, but need not be limited to, any of the following:
(a) A W-2 form, pay stub, or written statement by an employer.
(b) A contract.
(c) A student identification card or student transcript.
(6) This section does not apply to an individual whose enrollment and participation at an institution of higher education is solely through the mail or the internet from a remote location.
History: Add. 2002, Act 542, Eff. Oct. 1, 2002
Am. 2004, Act 237, Eff. Oct. 16, 2004
Am. 2011, Act 17, Eff. July 1, 2011
Am. 2020, Act 295, Eff. Mar. 24, 2021