REVISED JUDICATURE ACT OF 1961 (EXCERPT)
Act 236 of 1961
600.1307a Qualifications of juror; exemptions; effect of payment for jury service; “felony” defined.
(1) To qualify as a juror, a person shall meet all of the following criteria:
(a) Be a citizen of the United States, 18 years of age or older, and a resident in the county for which the person is selected, and in the case of a district court in districts of the second and third class, be a resident of the district.
(b) Be able to communicate in the English language.
(c) Be physically and mentally able to carry out the functions of a juror. Temporary inability shall not be considered a disqualification.
(d) Not have served as a petit or grand juror in a court of record during the preceding 12 months.
(e) Not have been convicted of a felony.
(2) A person more than 70 years of age may claim exemption from jury service and shall be exempt upon making the request.
(3) A nursing mother may claim exemption from jury service for the period during which she is nursing her child and shall be exempt upon making the request if she provides a letter from a physician, a lactation consultant, or a certified nurse midwife verifying that she is a nursing mother.
(4) For the purposes of this section and sections 1371 to 1376, a person has served as a juror if that person has been paid for jury service.
(5) For purposes of this section:
(a) "Certified nurse midwife" means an individual licensed as a registered professional nurse under article 15 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.16101 to 333.18838, who has been issued a specialty certification in the practice of nurse midwifery by the board of nursing under section 17210 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.17210.
(b) "Felony" means a violation of a penal law of this state, another state, or the United States for which the offender, upon conviction, may be punished by death or by imprisonment for more than 1 year or an offense expressly designated by law to be a felony.
(c) "Lactation consultant" means a lactation consultant certified by the international board of lactation consultant examiners.
(d) "Physician" means an individual licensed by the state to engage in the practice of medicine or osteopathic medicine and surgery under article 15 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.16101 to 333.18838.
History: Add. 1978, Act 11, Imd. Eff. Feb. 8, 1978
Am. 1986, Act 104, Eff. Jan. 1, 1987
Am. 2002, Act 739, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2004, Act 12, Eff. June 1, 2004
Am. 2012, Act 69, Eff. May 1, 2012
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan