THE INSURANCE CODE OF 1956 (EXCERPT)
Act 218 of 1956
500.3529 Affiliated provider contracts; collection of payments from enrollees; contract provisions; waiver of requirement under subsection (2); contract format; evidence of sufficient number of providers.
(1) A health maintenance organization may contract with or employ health professionals on the basis of cost, quality, availability of services to the membership, conformity to the administrative procedures of the health maintenance organization, and other factors relevant to delivery of economical, quality care, but shall not discriminate solely on the basis of the class of health professionals to which the health professional belongs.
(2) A health maintenance organization shall enter into contracts with providers through which health care services are usually provided to enrollees under the health maintenance organization plan.
(3) An affiliated provider contract shall prohibit the provider from seeking payment from the enrollee for services provided pursuant to the provider contract, except that the contract may allow affiliated providers to collect copayments, coinsurances, and deductibles directly from enrollees.
(4) An affiliated provider contract shall contain provisions assuring all of the following:
(a) The provider meets applicable licensure or certification requirements.
(b) Appropriate access by the health maintenance organization to records or reports concerning services to its enrollees.
(c) The provider cooperates with the health maintenance organization's quality assurance activities.
(5) The commissioner may waive the contract requirement under subsection (2) if a health maintenance organization has demonstrated that it is unable to obtain a contract and accessibility to patient care would not be compromised. When 10% or more of a health maintenance organization's elective inpatient admissions, or projected admissions for a new health maintenance organization, occur in hospitals with which the health maintenance organization does not have contracts or agreements that protect enrollees from liability for authorized admissions and services, the health maintenance organization may be required to maintain a hospital reserve fund equal to 3 months' projected claims from such hospitals.
(6) A health maintenance organization shall submit to the commissioner for approval standard contract formats proposed for use with its affiliated providers and any substantive changes to those contracts. The contract format or change is considered approved 30 days after filing unless approved or disapproved within the 30 days. As used in this subsection, "substantive changes to contract formats" means a change to a provider contract that alters the method of payment to a provider, alters the risk assumed by each party to the contract, or affects a provision required by law.
(7) A health maintenance organization or applicant shall provide evidence that it has employed, or has executed affiliation contracts with, a sufficient number of providers to enable it to deliver the health maintenance services it proposes to offer.
History: Add. 2000, Act 252, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2000
Am. 2002, Act 304, Imd. Eff. May 10, 2002
Am. 2005, Act 306, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 2005
Popular Name: Act 218
Popular Name: HMO
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan