MICHIGAN UNARMED COMBAT REGULATORY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 403 of 2004
338.3622 Chairperson; seal; rules; unarmed combat fund; creation; use; carrying forward remaining money; compensation of members; affiliation with other commissions or athletic authorities; duties of commission and department; incorporation by reference of certain standards.
(1) The commission shall elect 1 of its members as the chair of the commission. The commission may purchase and use a seal. The director may promulgate rules for the administration of this act but only after first consulting with the commission. The commission may request the department to promulgate a rule under section 38 of the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.238. Notwithstanding the time limit provided for in section 38 of the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.238, the department shall respond in writing to any request for rule promulgating by the commission within 30 calendar days after a request. The response shall include a reason and explanation for acceptance or denial of the request.
(2) The department shall promulgate rules to include all of the following:
(a) Number and qualifications of ring officials required at any exhibition or contest.
(b) Powers, duties, and compensation of ring officials.
(c) Qualifications of licensees.
(d) License fees not otherwise provided under this act.
(e) Any necessary standards designed to accommodate federally imposed mandates that do not directly conflict with this act.
(f) A list of enhancers and prohibited substances, the presence of which in a contestant is grounds for suspension or revocation of the license or other sanctions.
(3) An unarmed combat fund is created as a revolving fund in the state treasury and administered by the director. The money in the fund is to be only used for the costs of administration and enforcement of this act and for any costs associated with the administration of this act, including, but not limited to, reimbursing the department of attorney general for the reasonable costs of services provided to the department under this act. Money remaining in the fund at the end of the fiscal year and interest earned shall be carried forward into the next fiscal year and shall not revert to the general fund. The department shall deposit into the fund all money received from the regulatory and enforcement fee, license fees, event fees, and administrative fines imposed under this act, and from any other source.
(4) Annually, the legislature shall fix the per diem compensation of the members of the commission. Travel or other expenses incurred by a commission member in the performance of an official function shall be payable by the department under the standardized travel regulations of the department of management and budget.
(5) The commission may affiliate with any other state or national boxing or mixed martial arts commission or athletic authority. The commission, upon approval of the director, may enter into any appropriate reciprocity agreements.
(6) The commission and department are vested with management, control, and jurisdiction over all professional boxing and professional mixed martial arts contests or exhibitions to be conducted, held, or given within the state of Michigan. Except for any contests or exhibitions exempt from this act, a contest or exhibition shall not be conducted, held, or given within this state except in compliance with this act.
(7) The requirements and standards contained in standards adopted by the New Jersey state athletic control board, N.J.A.C. 13:46-24A and 24B, as they may exist on February 20, 2005, entitled the mixed martial arts unified rules, dated 2000, except for the license fees described in those rules, are incorporated by reference. Any requirements and standards incorporated by reference in this subsection that are in conflict with the requirements and standards of this act are considered superseded by the provisions of this act. The director, in consultation with the commission, may promulgate rules consistent with section 35 to alter, supplement, update, or amend the standards incorporated by reference under this subsection. Any references to the commission in the mixed martial arts unified rules shall mean the department. The standards contained in 13:46-24B.3 are not incorporated by reference.
History: 2004, Act 403, Eff. Feb. 20, 2005
Am. 2007, Act 196, Eff. Mar. 27, 2008
Am. 2010, Act 100, Imd. Eff. June 22, 2010
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan