FRIEND OF THE COURT ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 294 of 1982
552.504b Information and records to be provided to citizen advisory committee.
(1) Except as provided in subsections (2), (3), and (4), and under the chief judge's supervision, the office shall provide the citizen advisory committee with a grievance filed as provided in section 26 and access to records and information necessary for the committee to perform its functions as prescribed by this act, including the following:
(a) Case records and other information pertaining to the case of a party who has filed a grievance with the citizen advisory committee.
(b) Information regarding the procedures used by the office to carry out its responsibilities as defined by statute, court rule, or the bureau.
(c) Information regarding the administration of the office of the friend of the court office, including budget and personnel information.
(2) The following information shall not be provided to a citizen advisory committee:
(a) Information defined as confidential by supreme court rule.
(b) Case information subject to confidentiality or suppression by specific court order, unless the court that issued the order of confidentiality determines, after notice to the parties and an opportunity for response, that the requested information may be made available to the citizen advisory committee without impairing the rights of a party or the well-being of a child involved in the case.
(3) A citizen advisory committee shall be provided a judge's or referee's notes pertaining to a case only at the chief judge's express direction.
(4) A citizen advisory committee has access to records of a mediation session only if the court determines, after notice to the parties and an opportunity for a response, that access would not impair the rights of a party to the case or the well-being of a child involved in the case.
(5) Upon request of a citizen advisory committee and under the chief judge's supervision, the office shall annually provide the committee with information pertaining to a random sampling of grievances. If requested by the committee and at the supreme court's direction, the state court administrative office shall assist the office in devising a statistically significant random sampling.
History: Add. 1998, Act 551, Eff. Mar. 1, 1999
Popular Name: Friend of the Court
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan