MICHIGAN UNARMED COMBAT REGULATORY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 403 of 2004
338.3622 Chairperson; rules; Michigan unarmed combat fund; creation; compensation; affiliation with other commissions or athletic authorities; duties of commission and department.
(1) The commission shall elect 1 of its members as the chair of the commission.
(2) The director shall review the rules of the Association of Boxing Commissions before he or she promulgates rules for the administration of this act and may adopt by reference any of the rules of the Association of Boxing Commissions that are not inconsistent with this act.
(3) The director shall consult with the commission before he or she promulgates rules for the administration of this act. The commission may request that the department promulgate a rule under section 38 of the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.238. Notwithstanding the time limit provided for in section 38 of the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.238, the department shall respond in writing to any request from the commission under this subsection within 30 calendar days after the request. The response shall include a reason and explanation for agreeing to or denying the request.
(4) The director shall promulgate rules to establish all of the following and may establish any additional rules the director considers are necessary to administer and enforce this act:
(a) Number and qualifications of ring officials required at any event or contest.
(b) Powers, duties, and compensation of ring officials.
(c) Qualifications, activities, and responsibilities of licensees.
(d) License fees not otherwise provided under this act.
(e) Any necessary standards designed to accommodate federally imposed mandates that do not directly conflict with this act.
(f) A list of enhancers and prohibited substances, the presence of which in a contestant is grounds for suspension or revocation of the license or other sanctions.
(g) Standards to protect the health and safety of contestants participating in contests and events.
(5) The Michigan unarmed combat fund is created in the state treasury. All of the following apply to the fund:
(a) The director is the administrator of the fund, including for auditing purposes.
(b) The department shall use the money in the fund, on appropriation, only for the costs of administration and enforcement of this act and for any costs associated with the administration of this act, including, but not limited to, reimbursing the department of attorney general for the reasonable costs of services provided to the department under this act.
(c) The state treasurer shall direct the investment of the fund. The state treasurer shall credit to the fund interest and earnings from fund investments.
(d) Money in the fund at the close of the fiscal year shall remain in the fund and shall not lapse to the general fund.
(e) The department shall deposit into the fund all money received from the regulatory and enforcement fee, license fees, event fees, and administrative fines imposed under this act, and from any other source.
(6) Annually, the legislature shall fix the per diem compensation of the members of the commission. Travel or other expenses incurred by a commission member in the performance of an official function shall be payable by the department under the standardized travel regulations of the department of technology, management, and budget.
(7) The department and commission may affiliate with any other state or national boxing, mixed martial arts, or unarmed combat commission or athletic authority. The commission, with the approval of the director, may enter into any appropriate reciprocity agreements.
(8) The commission and department are vested with management, control, and jurisdiction over all professional boxing, professional or amateur mixed martial arts, or unarmed combat contests or events conducted in this state. Except for a contest or event that is exempt under this act, a person shall not conduct a contest or event in this state except in compliance with this act.
History: 2004, Act 403, Eff. Feb. 20, 2005
Am. 2007, Act 196, Eff. Mar. 27, 2008
Am. 2010, Act 100, Imd. Eff. June 22, 2010
Am. 2015, Act 183, Eff. Feb. 10, 2016
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan