REVISED JUDICATURE ACT OF 1961 (EXCERPT)
Act 236 of 1961
600.321 Fees to court of appeals; charge per page; waiver; deposit; costs; use.
(1) The following fees shall be paid to the clerk of the court of appeals and may be taxed as costs if costs are allowed by order of the court:
(a) For an appeal as of right, for an application for leave to appeal, or for an original proceeding, $375.00. This fee shall be paid only once for appeals that are taken by multiple parties from the same lower court order or judgment and can be consolidated.
(b) Upon the entry of any motion except a motion described in subdivision (c) upon the motion docket, $100.00.
(c) Upon the entry of a motion for immediate consideration or a motion to expedite appeal upon the motion docket, $200.00. This fee shall be paid only once regardless of the number of lower court files involved in the appeal. A prosecuting attorney is exempt from paying a fee under this subdivision with regard to an appeal arising out of a criminal proceeding.
(2) The clerk of the court of appeals shall charge 50 cents per page for certified copies of entries or papers in any action or proceedings when required for any other purpose than one connected with the progress or disposition of the action or proceeding.
(3) The clerk shall charge 50 cents per page for all uncertified copies of opinions, except those sent to 1 counsel representing each party in the case, for which no charge shall be made.
(4) If a person is unable to pay the fees required by this section, the person, by motion, accompanied by the person's affidavit stating facts showing that inability, may ask the court to waive the fees and the court or a judge of the court may waive payment of the fees.
(5) Each month the clerk of the court of appeals shall deposit with the state treasurer all fees collected and obtain and file a receipt for the fees deposited.
(6) Costs shall be awarded in the discretion of the court.
(7) The fees collected under this section shall be used to fund a probation swift and sure sanctions program created under the probation swift and sure sanctions act, chapter XIA of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 771A.1 to 771A.8.
History: Add. 1964, Act 281, Imd. Eff. June 11, 1964
Am. 1970, Act 248, Imd. Eff. Jan. 1, 1971
Am. 1986, Act 274, Eff. Mar. 31, 1987
Am. 1990, Act 277, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991
Am. 1997, Act 182, Eff. Jan. 1, 1998
Am. 2003, Act 138, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2005, Act 151, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2005
Am. 2005, Act 326, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 2005
Am. 2007, Act 64, Imd. Eff. Sept. 28, 2007
Am. 2011, Act 130, Imd. Eff. Sept. 6, 2011
Am. 2012, Act 617, Imd. Eff. Jan. 9, 2013
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan