MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.686 Rear lamps; exemption; requirements for implement of husbandry; pickup camper.
(1) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn in a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least 1 rear lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required by this act, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
(2) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed so as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. A tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be wired so as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.
(3) A motor vehicle licensed as an historic vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the vehicle as originally equipped failed to meet these requirements.
(4) When operated or moved on a highway at the times specified in section 684, an implement of husbandry shall meet either of the following requirements:
(a) For implements of husbandry manufactured before January 1, 2007, the following:
(i) Display lighted rear lamps which meet the requirements of subsection (1).
(ii) Be accompanied by a vehicle which follows behind the implement of husbandry at a distance of not more than 50 feet, illuminates the implement of husbandry with the vehicle's headlights, and displays on the rear of the vehicle lighted rear lamps as required by this section.
(b) For implements of husbandry manufactured on or after January 1, 2007, the provisions of section 684a.
(5) A pickup camper shall be attached to the motor vehicle in a manner so that the registration plate of the motor vehicle is clearly visible.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949
Am. 1978, Act 55, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 1978
Am. 1987, Act 90, Imd. Eff. July 1, 1987
Am. 1990, Act 98, Eff. Jan. 1, 1991
Am. 2006, Act 14, Imd. Eff. Feb. 9, 2006
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan