PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 368 of 1978
333.16177 License or registration; form of application; inclusion of social security number; examination; passing scores; additional information; exception to social security requirement.
(1) An individual applying for licensure or registration under this article shall do so on a form provided by the department. The department shall require each applicant to include on the application form his or her social security number. The department shall not display an applicant's social security number on his or her license or registration. If the facts set forth in the application meet the requirements of the board or task force and this article for licensure or registration, the board or task force shall grant a license or registration to the applicant. A board or task force may require the applicant to take an examination to determine if the applicant meets the qualifications for licensure or registration. The examination shall include subjects determined by the board or task force to be essential to the safe and competent practice of the health profession, the appropriate use of a title, or both. Passing scores or the procedure used to determine passing scores shall be established before an examination is administered.
(2) In addition to the information required under subsection (1), an applicant for licensure or registration or a licensee or registrant applying for renewal shall include on a form provided by the department all of the following information, if applicable:
(a) A felony conviction.
(b) A misdemeanor conviction punishable by imprisonment for a maximum term of 2 years or a misdemeanor conviction involving the illegal delivery, possession, or use of alcohol or a controlled substance.
(c) Sanctions imposed against the applicant by a similar licensure, registration, certification, or disciplinary board of another state or country.
(3) In addition to the information required under subsections (1) and (2), a physician, osteopathic physician, dentist, or podiatrist applying for licensure or renewal under this article shall report to the department on a form provided by the department the name of each hospital with which he or she is employed or under contract, and each hospital in which he or she is allowed to practice.
(4) In addition to the information required under subsections (1), (2), and (3), an applicant for licensure and, beginning the license renewal cycle after the effective date of the amendatory act that added section 16213, a licensee applying for renewal shall provide the department, on the application or the license renewal form, with an affidavit stating that he or she has a written policy for protecting, maintaining, and providing access to his or her medical records in accordance with section 16213 and for complying with section 16213 in the event that he or she sells or closes his or her practice, retires from practice, or otherwise ceases to practice under this article. The applicant or licensee shall make the written policy available to the department upon request.
(5) A requirement under this section to include a social security number on an application does not apply to an applicant who demonstrates he or she is exempt under law from obtaining a social security number or to an applicant who for religious convictions is exempt under law from disclosure of his or her social security number under these circumstances. The department shall inform the applicant of this possible exemption.
History: 1978, Act 368, Eff. Sept. 30, 1978
Am. 1978, Act 625, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1979
Am. 1993, Act 80, Eff. Apr. 1, 1994
Am. 1998, Act 332, Imd. Eff. Aug. 10, 1998
Am. 2006, Act 481, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 2006
Popular Name: Act 368
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan