NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
324.17317 Recycling of covered electronic devices; registration form; contents; report of total weight recycled previous state fiscal year; effectiveness of registration; notice of deficiency; fee; deposit of revenues; submission of false registration as violation; report.
(1) Within 30 days after the end of each state fiscal year, a person who engages in the business of recycling covered electronic devices shall register with the department on a form provided by the department. A registration expires 30 days after the end of the state fiscal year in which the registration is required to be filed. A recycler who has not already filed a registration under this part shall submit a registration within 10 business days after the recycler begins to recycle covered electronic devices.
(2) A registration under subsection (1) shall include all of the following:
(a) The name, address, telephone number, and location of all recycling facilities that are under the direct control of the recycler, are located in this state, and may receive covered electronic devices.
(b) A certification by the recycler that the recycler substantially meets the requirements of section 17315.
(3) A recycler of covered electronic devices shall report the total weight of covered electronic devices recycled during the previous state fiscal year. The recycler shall keep a written log that records the weight of covered video display devices and the total weight of covered computers delivered to the recycler and identified as such on receipt. The total weight reported in the registration shall be based on this log.
(4) A recycler’s registration is effective upon receipt by the department if the registration is administratively complete.
(5) If a recycler’s registration does not meet the requirements of this section and any rules promulgated under this part, the department shall notify the recycler of the deficiency. If the recycler fails to correct the deficiency within 60 days after notice is sent by the department, the department may deny or revoke the recycler’s registration, after providing an opportunity for a contested case hearing under the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328.
(6) Until October 1, 2023, a recycler’s registration under subsection (1) shall be accompanied by an annual fee of $2,000.00.
(7) Revenue from recyclers’ registration fees collected under this section shall be deposited in the electronic waste recycling fund created in section 17327.
(8) Submitting a false registration under subsection (1) is a violation of this part.
(9) Not later than October 1, 2011 and every 2 years after that date, the department shall submit a report to the secretary of the senate and to the clerk of the house of representatives that assesses the adequacy of the fees under this section and any departmental recommendation to modify those fees.
History: Add. 2008, Act 395, Imd. Eff. Dec. 29, 2008
Am. 2015, Act 82, Eff. Oct. 1, 2015
Am. 2019, Act 85, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2019
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan