MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
***** 257.811e THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 28, 2017: See 257.811e.amended *****
257.811e Fund-raising plate.
(1) The secretary of state may develop a fund-raising plate as provided in this section.
(2) A start-up fee of $15,000.00 shall be paid for any new fund-raising plate authorized under this section. The secretary of state shall deposit the fee in the transportation administration collection fund through October 1, 2019 to be used for the cost of creating, producing, and issuing fund-raising plates. If the fee described in this subsection is not paid within 18 months after the effective date of the public act that authorizes the development and issuance of a fund-raising plate, the secretary of state shall not create, produce, or issue the related fund-raising plate. A start-up fee paid under this subsection is nonrefundable.
(3) Not less than 3 years after the secretary of state first issues 1 of the fund-raising plates as described in subsection (1) and upon payment of $2,000.00, the Michigan university or other person sponsoring that fund-raising plate may redesign it as approved by the secretary of state. The secretary of state shall deposit the payment required under this subsection in the transportation administration collection fund created under section 810b through October 1, 2019 to be used for the cost of creating, producing, and issuing fund-raising plates. A payment under this subsection is nonrefundable.
(4) The secretary of state may develop 1 or more limited term registration plates to recognize a Michigan university or an accomplishment or occasion of a Michigan university.
(5) The secretary of state may develop different state-sponsored fund-raising plates as described in this section, and matching state-sponsored collector plates as described in section 811g.
(6) The secretary of state shall not develop or issue a fund-raising plate unless a public act authorizing the fund-raising plate, at a minimum, does all of the following:
(a) Identifies the purpose of the fund-raising plate.
(b) Creates a nonprofit fund or designates an existing nonprofit fund to receive the money raised through the sale of fund-raising plates and matching collector plates.
(c) If a fund is created, names the person or entity responsible for administering the fund.
History: Add. 2000, Act 77, Eff. Oct. 1, 2000
Am. 2001, Act 124, Imd. Eff. Oct. 12, 2001
Am. 2006, Act 562, Eff. Jan. 1, 2007
Am. 2009, Act 99, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2009
Am. 2011, Act 66, Eff. Jan 1, 2012
Am. 2011, Act 159, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2011
Am. 2015, Act 78, Eff. Oct. 1, 2015
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan