COMMUNITY CONVENTION OR TOURISM MARKETING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 395 of 1980
141.873 Marketing program and assessment district; establishment; marketing program notice; filing; contents; exclusion; excise or other tax; copies of notice; list of owners.
(1) A bureau that intends to establish a marketing program and assessment district shall file a marketing program notice with the director. The marketing program notice shall state that the bureau proposes to create a marketing program under this act and cause an assessment to be collected from owners of transient facilities within the assessment district to pay the costs of the marketing program.
(2) The marketing program notice shall describe the structure, membership, and activities of the bureau.
(3) The marketing program notice shall describe the marketing program to be implemented by the bureau with the assessment revenues, specify the amount of the assessment proposed to be levied, which, except as provided in this subsection, shall not exceed 5% of the room charges in the applicable payment period, and describe the municipalities comprising the assessment district.
(4) Except as provided in section 10, an area shall not be included in the marketing program notice filed under this act and the assessment district specified in the notice if the area is part of an existing assessment district under this act for which a marketing program is in effect.
(5) If on the date of the mailing of the marketing program notice under this act an excise tax or other tax based on a room charge is not being collected, a municipality included in the marketing program notice shall not be subject to the collection of an excise tax imposed under 1974 PA 263, MCL 141.861 to 141.867, or another tax based on a room charge.
(6) If a part of a municipality is subject to an assessment under the convention and tourism marketing act, 1980 PA 383, MCL 141.881 to 141.889, that part of the municipality shall not be included in a marketing program notice or assessment district under this act.
(7) Simultaneously with the filing of the marketing program notice with the director, the bureau shall mail a copy of the notice, by registered or certified mail, to each owner of a transient facility located in the assessment district specified in the notice, in care of the respective transient facility. In assembling the list of owners to whom the notices shall be mailed, the bureau shall use any data that is reasonably available to the bureau.
History: 1980, Act 395, Imd. Eff. Jan. 7, 1981
Am. 1984, Act 59, Imd. Eff. Apr. 12, 1984
Am. 1989, Act 245, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 1989
Am. 1991, Act 92, Imd. Eff. July 31, 1991
Am. 1993, Act 224, Imd. Eff. Nov. 1, 1993
Am. 1996, Act 589, Imd. Eff. Jan. 21, 1997
Am. 2010, Act 283, Imd. Eff. Dec. 16, 2010
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan