PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 368 of 1978
333.13727 Carrier's permit; identification number; requirements; conditions; validity; issuance or renewal; application; registration and inspection of vehicle; inspection fee; vehicle tag; permit nontransferable; applicability; application fee; modification of permit; administrative costs; specifying available routes.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in section 13726(2), a person shall not transport waste in this state after the issuance of a construction and operating license for a disposal site under this part unless the person holds a carrier's permit issued under this section or issued by a state that has been granted equivalent privileges in this state under section 13724. The department shall assign an identification number to each carrier who is issued a permit or who has equivalent privileges in this state under section 13724.
(2) A carrier's permit shall include requirements as provided in this part and in any rules promulgated under this part, in the low-level radioactive waste authority act, and conditions that are equivalent to applicable federal requirements. Other conditions as necessary and provided by law may be imposed after the department has submitted to the governor and the legislature the written recommendations required under section 13707(2). A carrier's permit is valid for 3 years after the date of issuance.
(3) Upon receipt of the application and fee required in subsection (7), the department shall issue or renew a carrier's permit if it determines that the carrier meets the requirements of this part.
(4) An application for a carrier's permit shall contain information required by the department to implement and enforce this part, including all of the following information:
(a) The estimated quantities and types of wastes to be transported.
(b) The procedures and methods to be used for responding to a release of waste.
(c) The location and use of storage and transfer facilities, if any.
(5) As a condition of a carrier's permit from this state, each vehicle used by a carrier to transport waste shall be registered and inspected by the department of state police annually to insure compliance with applicable state and federal law. The department of state police may collect a fee of $200.00 for each vehicle that is inspected. The department of state police shall supply the carrier with a vehicle tag for each vehicle registered under this subsection. The vehicle tag shall be displayed by the carrier on each registered vehicle.
(6) A carrier's permit is not transferable, and shall state with particularity the persons and real or personal property to which it applies.
(7) Each person who submits an application for a carrier's permit or permit renewal in this state under this section shall pay a permit application fee of $500.00.
(8) If a carrier requests modification of a carrier's permit, or if the director determines that modifications are necessary to conform to the requirements of this part, the director may invoke permit modifications which the director considers necessary and may specify the time required to complete the modifications. The director may prescribe a fee not to exceed $500.00 for administrative costs associated with the processing of a modification to a carrier permit.
(9) The department with the assistance of the department of state police and the state transportation department shall specify the routes available in this state for the transportation of waste.
History: Add. 1987, Act 203, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 1987
Am. 1994, Act 435, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1995
Popular Name: Act 368
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan