capitol dome
Michigan Legislative Website


Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 280 of 2014
House: Adjourned until Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:30:00 PM
Senate: Adjourned until Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:00:00 AM

Michigan Legislative Website

Main Content

Section 208.1601

MICHIGAN BUSINESS TAX ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 36 of 2007

***** 208.1601 THIS SECTION IS REPEALED BY ACT 39 OF 2011 EFFECTIVE WHEN CONDITIONS APPLIED BY ENACTING SECTION 1 OF ACT 39 OF 2011 ARE MET: See enacting section 1 of Act 39 of 2011 *****



208.1601 Refund of excess amounts; deposit into countercyclical budget and economic stabilization fund; disposition of taxpayer's pro rata share; definitions.

Sec. 601.

(1) For the 2008 fiscal year, except as otherwise provided under subsection (4), if total net cash payments from the tax imposed under this act plus any net cash payments from former 1975 PA 228 less any net cash payments made by insurance companies under either act exceed the fiscal year 2008 base, 60% of that excess shall be refunded in the immediately succeeding fiscal year as provided in subsection (5) and the remaining 40% shall be deposited into the countercyclical budget and economic stabilization fund created in section 351 of the management and budget act, 1984 PA 431, MCL 18.1351. To calculate the fiscal year 2008 base, multiply $2,619,100,000.00 by 1.0075 and then multiply this product by the United States consumer price index for fiscal year 2008 and then divide this product by the United States consumer price index for fiscal year 2007.

(2) For the 2009 fiscal year, except as otherwise provided under subsection (4), if total net cash payments from the tax imposed under this act, excluding any revenue collected pursuant to chapter 2A, exceed the fiscal year 2009 base, 60% of that excess shall be refunded in the immediately succeeding fiscal year as provided in subsection (5) and the remaining 40% shall be deposited into the countercyclical budget and economic stabilization fund created in section 351 of the management and budget act, 1984 PA 431, MCL 18.1351. To calculate the fiscal year 2009 base, multiply $3,051,500,000.00 by 1.015 and then multiply this product by the United States consumer price index for fiscal year 2009 and then divide this product by the United States consumer price index for fiscal year 2007.

(3) For the 2010 fiscal year and each fiscal year after 2010, except as otherwise provided under subsection (4), if total net cash payments from the tax imposed under this act, excluding any revenue collected pursuant to chapter 2A, exceed the fiscal year base, 60% of that excess shall be refunded in the immediately succeeding fiscal year as provided in subsection (5) and the remaining 40% shall be deposited into the countercyclical budget and economic stabilization fund created in section 351 of the management and budget act, 1984 PA 431, MCL 18.1351. To calculate the fiscal year base, multiply the fiscal year base for the immediately preceding fiscal year by 1.0075 and then multiply this product by the United States consumer price index for the fiscal year and divide this product by the United States consumer price index for the immediately preceding fiscal year.

(4) If the amount of the total net cash payments collected from the tax imposed under this act, excluding any revenue collected pursuant to chapter 2A, exceeds the amount described in the applicable subsection by less than $5,000,000.00, then all of that excess shall be deposited into the countercyclical budget and economic stabilization fund created in section 351 of the management and budget act, 1984 PA 431, MCL 18.1351.

(5) For the 2008 fiscal year, the refund available under subsection (1) shall be applied pro rata to the taxpayers that made positive net cash payments during the fiscal year. The taxpayer's pro rata share shall be the total amount to be refunded under subsection (1) multiplied by a fraction the numerator of which is the positive net payments made by the taxpayer during the fiscal year and the denominator of which is the sum of the positive net cash payments made by all taxpayers during the fiscal year. For each fiscal year after the 2008 fiscal year, the refund available under subsection (2) or (3) shall be applied pro rata to the taxpayers that claimed 1 or more credits under section 403 or 405 during the immediately preceding fiscal year. The taxpayer's pro rata share shall be the total amount to be refunded under subsection (2) or (3) multiplied by a fraction the numerator of which is the credits claimed under sections 403 and 405 by the taxpayer during the immediately preceding fiscal year and the denominator of which is the sum of the credits claimed under sections 403 and 405 by all taxpayers during the immediately preceding fiscal year.

(6) As used in this section:

(a) "Fiscal year" means the state fiscal year that commences October 1 and continues through September 30.

(b) "Net cash payments" for the fiscal year are equal to cash annual and estimated payments made during the fiscal year less refunds paid during the fiscal year. Refunds paid under this section are not used to reduce net cash payments for purposes of calculating refunds paid out under this section.

(c) "United States consumer price index" means the United States consumer price index for all urban consumers as defined and reported by the United States department of labor, bureau of labor statistics.


History: 2007, Act 36, Eff. Jan. 1, 2008 ;-- Am. 2007, Act 145, Eff. Jan. 1, 2008
Compiler's Notes: Enacting section 1 of Act 36 of 2007 provides:"Enacting section 1. This act takes effect January 1, 2008 and applies to all business activity occurring after December 31, 2007."Enacting section 3 of Act 145 of 2007 provides:"Enacting section 3. Sections 281 and 451 of the Michigan business tax act, 2007 PA 36, MCL 208.1281 and 208.1451, as added by this amendatory act, and sections 105, 111, 113, 201, 239, 265, 403, 405, 409, 413, 445, 447, 515, and 601 of the Michigan business tax act, 2007 PA 36, MCL 208.1105, 208.1111, 208.1113, 208.1201, 208.1239, 208.1265, 208.1403, 208.1405, 208.1409, 208.1413, 208.1445, 208.1447, 208.1515, and 208.1601, as amended by this amendatory act, take effect January 1, 2008 and apply to all business activity occurring after December 31, 2007."
Popular Name: MBT


© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan