WORKER'S DISABILITY COMPENSATION ACT OF 1969 (EXCERPT)
Act 317 of 1969
418.356 Increase in benefits after 2 years of continuous disability; petition for hearing; evidence; order for adjustment of compensation; payment; reimbursement from second injury fund; minimum weekly benefit for death; minimum weekly benefit for 1 or more losses; total disability; exception.
(1) An injured employee who, at the time of the personal injury, is entitled to a rate of compensation less than 50% of the then applicable state average weekly wage as determined for the year in which the injury occurred pursuant to section 355, may be entitled to an increase in benefits after 2 years of continuous disability. After 2 years of continuous disability, the employee may petition for a hearing at which the employee may present evidence that, by virtue of the employee's age, education, training, experience, or other documented evidence which would fairly reflect the employee's earning capacity, the employee's earnings would have been expected to increase. Upon presentation of this evidence, a worker's compensation magistrate may order an adjustment of the compensation rate up to 50% of the state average weekly wage for the year in which the employee's injury occurred. The adjustment of compensation, if ordered, shall be effective as of the date of the employee's petition for the hearing. The adjustments provided in this subsection shall be paid by the carrier on a weekly basis. However, the carrier, the self-insurers' security fund, and the private employer group self-insurers security fund shall be entitled to reimbursement for these payments from the second injury fund created in section 501. There shall be only 1 adjustment made for an employee under this subsection.
(2) The minimum weekly benefit for death under section 321 shall be 50% of the state average weekly wage as determined under section 355.
(3) The minimum weekly benefit for 1 or more losses stated in section 361(2) and (3) shall be 25% of the state average weekly wage as determined under section 355.
(4) There is no minimum weekly benefit for total disability under section 351.
(5) This section does not apply to an employee entitled to benefits under section 361(1).
History: Add. 1980, Act 357, Eff. Jan. 1, 1982
Am. 1982, Act 32, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 1982
Am. 1985, Act 103, Imd. Eff. July 30, 1985
Am. 1994, Act 271, Imd. Eff. July 11, 1994
Am. 2014, Act 231, Imd. Eff. June 27, 2014
Compiler's Notes: For legislative intent as to severability, see Compiler's note to MCL 418.213.
Popular Name: Act 317
Popular Name: Heart and Lung Act
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan