METROPOLITAN EXTENSION TELECOMMUNICATIONS RIGHTS-OF-WAY OVERSIGHT ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 48 of 2002
***** 484.3103 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED BY ACT 404 OF 2012 EFFECTIVE WHEN CONDITIONS APPLIED BY ENACTING SECTION 1 OF ACT 404 OF 2012 ARE MET: See 484.3103.amended *****
***** 484.3103 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2014, IF THE CONDITIONS APPLIED IN ENACTING SECTION 2 OF ACT 88 OF 2014 ARE MET: See 484.3103.amended *****
484.3103 Metropolitan extension telecommunications rights-of-way oversight authority; establishment within department of consumer and industry services; director of authority; appointment; duties; power of authority to assess fees; annual report; rules.
(1) Pursuant to section 27 of article VII of the state constitution of 1963 and any other applicable law, the metropolitan extension telecommunications rights-of-way oversight authority is established as an autonomous agency within the department of consumer and industry services. The director of the authority shall be appointed by the governor for a 4-year term. The director of the authority shall report directly to the governor. The department of consumer and industry services shall provide the authority all budget, procurement, and management-related functions. The department of consumer and industry services shall also provide suitable offices, facilities, equipment, staff, and supplies for the authority in the city of Lansing.
(2) The director of the authority is responsible for carrying out the powers and duties of the authority under this act.
(3) The authority shall coordinate public right-of-way matters with municipalities, assess the fees required under this act, and have the exclusive power to assess fees on telecommunication providers owning telecommunication facilities in public rights-of-way within a municipality in a metropolitan area to recover the costs of using the rights-of-way by the provider.
(4) The authority shall file an annual report of its activities for the preceding year with the governor and the members of the legislative committees dealing with energy, technology, and telecommunications issues on or before March 1 of each year.
(5) The authority may promulgate rules for the implementation and administration of this act under the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328.
History: 2002, Act 48, Eff. Nov. 1, 2002
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan