THE CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE (EXCERPT)
Act 175 of 1927
769.1j Court ordered fine, costs, or assessments; minimum amounts; definitions.
(1) Beginning October 1, 2003, if the court orders a person convicted of an offense to pay any combination of a fine, costs, or applicable assessments, the court shall order that the person pay costs of not less than the following amount, as applicable:
(a) $68.00, if the defendant is convicted of a felony.
(b) $50.00, if the defendant is convicted of a misdemeanor or ordinance violation.
(2) Of the costs ordered to be paid by a person convicted of an offense, the clerk shall pay to the justice system fund created in section 181 of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.181, the applicable amount specified as a minimum cost under subsection (1).
(3) Payment of the minimum state cost is a condition of probation under chapter XI of this act.
(4) If a defendant who is ordered to pay a minimum state cost under subsection (1) posts a cash bond or bail deposit in connection with the case, the court shall order that the minimum state cost be collected out of the bond or deposit as provided in section 15 of chapter V of this act or section 6 or 7 of 1966 PA 257, MCL 780.66 and 780.67.
(5) If a defendant who is ordered to pay a minimum state cost under this section is subject to any combination of fines, costs, restitution, assessments, or payments arising out of the same criminal prosecution, money collected from that person for the payment of fines, costs, restitution, assessments, or other payments shall be allocated as provided in section 22 of chapter XV. A fine imposed for a felony, misdemeanor, or ordinance violation shall not be waived unless costs, other than the minimum cost ordered under subsection (2), are waived.
(6) On the last day of each month, the clerk of the court shall transmit the minimum state cost or portions of minimum state cost collected under this section to the department of treasury for deposit in the justice system fund created in section 181 of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.181.
(7) As used in this section:
(a) "Felony" means a violation of a penal law of this state for which the offender may be punished by imprisonment for more than 1 year or an offense expressly designated by law to be a felony.
(b) "Minimum state cost" means the applicable minimum cost to be ordered for a conviction under subsection (1).
History: Add. 2003, Act 70, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2008, Act 547, Eff. Apr. 1, 2009
Am. 2011, Act 293, Eff. Apr. 1, 2012
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan