FRIEND OF THE COURT ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 294 of 1982
552.504 Citizen friend of the court advisory committee; establishment; composition; appointment; vacancy; terms; election of chairperson and vice-chairperson; court administrative office guidelines; term limitation.
(1) Each county may establish a citizen friend of the court advisory committee composed of the following members, each of whom is a resident of the county:
(a) A noncustodial parent.
(b) A custodial parent.
(c) An attorney who engages primarily in family law practice.
(d) The county sheriff or the sheriff's designee.
(e) The prosecuting attorney or the prosecuting attorney's designee.
(f) The director of the family independence agency or the director's designee.
(g) A mental health professional who provides family counseling.
(h) Two members of the general public who are not serving on the committee in a category listed in subdivisions (a) to (g).
(2) Except for a member serving under subsection (1)(d), (e), or (f), and except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the county board shall appoint the citizen advisory committee members. In a county organized under 1966 PA 293, MCL 45.501 to 45.521, the county executive shall appoint the citizen advisory committee members with the advice and consent of the county board, and shall exercise the other powers and duties prescribed for the county board by this section in regard to the citizen advisory committee.
(3) A vacancy on the citizen advisory committee shall be filled for the remainder of the term in the same manner as the position was originally filled. The county board shall attempt to compose the citizen advisory committee so that its membership reflects the ethnic, racial, and gender distribution of the community that it serves.
(4) Committee members shall serve renewable terms of 3 years for each time appointed. Members appointed under subsection (1)(a), (b), (c), (g), and (h) shall serve initial terms of 3 years for 2 members, 2 years for 2 members, and 1 year for 2 members to allow 1/3 of those members to be appointed to the committee each year.
(5) A citizen advisory committee shall elect 1 of its members as chairperson and 1 as vice-chairperson.
(6) A citizen advisory committee shall honor any guidelines established by the state court administrative office for a friend of the court office pertaining to citizen advisory committees.
(7) Except for a member serving under subsection (1)(d), (e), or (f), a citizen advisory committee member shall not serve more than 2 consecutive terms. After completion of 2 consecutive terms, a former member shall not be reappointed to serve during the 2 years immediately following the end of his or her previous term.
History: Add. 1996, Act 366, Eff. Jan. 1, 1997
Am. 2004, Act 210, Eff. Oct. 1, 2004
Popular Name: Friend of the Court
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan