FIRE PREVENTION CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 207 of 1941
***** 29.19 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2014: See 29.19.amended *****
29.19 Fire drills in schools, colleges, universities, and school dormitories; unrestricted emergency egress; compliance; record; minimum drills; weather conditions; tornado safety drills; location of drills; security measures; drills during lunch and recess periods; protective apparatus or equipment; development of model.
(1) The chief administrative officer and the teachers of all schools, including state supported schools, colleges, and universities and the owner, or owner's representative, of all school dormitories shall have a fire drill each month and ensure unrestricted emergency egress during school hours and when the school is open to the public. Each teacher in a school, including a state supported school, college, or university and the owner or owner's representative of a dormitory shall comply with these requirements and keep a record of the drills.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a minimum of 8 fire drills is required for each school year. If weather conditions do not permit fire drills to be held at least once a month, then at least 5 fire drills shall be held in the fall of each year and 3 fire drills shall be held during the remaining part of the school year.
(3) A minimum of 6 fire drills is required for each school year for a school that operates any of grades kindergarten to 12. Four of the fire drills shall be held in the fall and 2 shall be held during the remaining part of the school year.
(4) A minimum of 2 tornado safety drills is required for each school year at the schools and facilities described in subsection (1). These drills shall be conducted for the purpose of preventing fires and related hazards and injuries caused by severe weather.
(5) A minimum of 2 drills in which the occupants are restricted to the interior of the building and the building secured is required for each school year at a school that operates any of grades kindergarten to 12. A drill conducted under this subsection shall include security measures that are appropriate to an emergency such as the release of a hazardous material or the presence of an armed individual on or near the premises. The drill shall be conducted in coordination with the local emergency management coordinator appointed under section 9 of the emergency management act, 1976 PA 390, MCL 30.409, the county sheriff for the county or the chief of police or fire chief for the municipality where the school is located, or the designee of the sheriff, chief of police, or fire chief and consistently with applicable federal, state, and local emergency operations plans. The governing body of a school shall seek input from the administration of the school on the nature of the drills to be conducted under this subsection.
(6) A school that operates any of grades kindergarten to 12 shall conduct some of the drills required by this section during lunch and recess periods, or at other times when a significant number of the students are gathered but not in the classroom.
(7) The state fire marshal, a fire chief, or a firefighter in uniform acting under orders and directions of the fire chief may cause fire drills to be held in school houses, school dormitories, and other public buildings as the state fire marshal considers advisable. The state fire marshal may order the installation of other protective apparatus or equipment that conforms to recognized and approved modern practices.
(8) The department of state police emergency management division shall develop a model to be used by a school in conducting, and by a local emergency management coordinator, county sheriff, chief of police, fire chief, or designee of a sheriff, chief of police, or fire chief in coordinating, a drill under subsection (5).
History: 1941, Act 207, Imd. Eff. June 16, 1941
CL 1948, 29.19
Am. 1965, Act 200, Imd. Eff. July 16, 1965
Am. 1973, Act 199, Imd. Eff. Jan. 11, 1974
Am. 1978, Act 3, Imd. Eff. Feb. 7, 1978
Am. 1998, Act 45, Imd. Eff. Mar. 30, 1998
Am. 2006, Act 187, Imd. Eff. June 19, 2006
Am. 2006, Act 337, Imd. Eff. Aug. 15, 2006
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of powers and duties of the state fire marshal division programs relating to fire drills in schools, colleges, universities, and school dormitories from the department of state police to the department of consumer and industry services, see E.R.O. No. 1997-2, compiled at MCL 29.451 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.For transfer of certain authority, powers, functions, and responsibilities of the state fire marshal and the fire marshal division of the department of state police to the director of the department of labor and economic growth, bureau of construction codes and fire safety, by type II transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2003-1, compiled at MCL 445.2011.
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan