STATE HOUSING DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY ACT OF 1966 (EXCERPT)
Act 346 of 1966
125.1432b Mortgage credit certificate program; authority designated as administrator; guidelines; qualifying for receipt of mortgage credit certificate; adaptation of property for use by disabled individuals; family income limits; applicability of internal revenue code; exception; retroactive effect of changes in subsections (3) and (4).
(1) The authority is designated as the administrator of the mortgage credit certificate program for this state permitted under section 25 of the internal revenue code, 26 USC 25.
(2) The authority shall prepare guidelines that would allow for the implementation of a mortgage credit certificate program through mortgage lenders.
(3) For a borrower to qualify for receipt of a mortgage credit certificate with respect to the acquisition of a new or existing housing unit, including a residential condominium or mobile home, both of the following requirements shall be met:
(a) The purchase price with respect to the new or existing unit shall not exceed the limits established in section 44 for newly rehabilitated, newly constructed, or existing 1- to 4-unit housing units, including a residential condominium unit as condominium unit is defined in section 4 of the condominium act, 1978 PA 59, MCL 559.104, for which the authority may make loans to individual purchasers for acquisition and long-term financing or refinancing.
(b) The borrower's family income does not exceed the following, as applicable:
(i) The limits established in section 44 for individual purchasers to whom the authority may make loans for the acquisition and long-term financing or refinancing of newly rehabilitated, newly constructed, or existing 1- to 4-unit housing units.
(ii) For eligible distressed areas, $69,800.00 until June 1, 2006, $72,250.00 until November 1, 2007, and $74,750.00 on and after November 1, 2007 but before the effective date of the 2012 amendatory act that amended this section.
(iii) For any other area, $60,700.00 until June 1, 2006, $62,800.00 until November 1, 2007, and $65,000.00 on and after November 1, 2007 but before the effective date of the 2012 amendatory act that amended this section.
(4) The authority may increase the purchase price limit in subsection (3) to cover the cost of improvements to adapt the property for use by disabled individuals or unexpected cost increases during construction. The amount of the increase shall be the amount of the costs described in this subsection or $3,500.00, whichever is less.
(5) To qualify for receipt of a mortgage credit certificate with respect to the improvement or rehabilitation of an existing housing unit, including a residential condominium or mobile home, the borrower's family income shall not exceed the limits established in section 44a for persons and families of low and moderate income.
(6) If an income or purchase price limit prescribed by subsection (3), (4), or (5) exceeds an applicable limit prescribed by the internal revenue code, 26 USC 1 to 9834, the internal revenue code limit applies. Except with respect to newly constructed housing units, the authority may at any time by resolution establish, for a length of time it considers appropriate, maximum borrower income or purchase price limits more restrictive than those maximum limitations set forth in this section. The authority shall advise the appropriate house and senate standing committees 5 days prior to the adoption of a resolution establishing more restrictive income or purchase price limits.
(7) The changes made by 1995 PA 186 to purchase price limits in the subsections that at the time were designated subsections (3) and (4) were retroactive, effective as of October 29, 1993.
History: Add. 1984, Act 215, Imd. Eff. July 10, 1984
Am. 1985, Act 183, Imd. Eff. Dec. 18, 1985
Am. 1987, Act 179, Imd. Eff. Nov. 25, 1987
Am. 1989, Act 220, Imd. Eff. Dec. 11, 1989
Am. 1991, Act 137, Imd. Eff. Nov. 22, 1991
Am. 1993, Act 221, Imd. Eff. Oct. 29, 1993
Am. 1995, Act 186, Imd. Eff. Oct. 23, 1995
Am. 1996, Act 475, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 1996
Am. 1998, Act 33, Imd. Eff. Mar. 18, 1998
Am. 2000, Act 257, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2000
Am. 2004, Act 549, Imd. Eff. Jan. 3, 2005
Am. 2012, Act 346, Imd. Eff. Nov. 7, 2012
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan